Deal or No deal - Real world ADM - Being Transparent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irojas

Reaction score
And you know that because you are a dealer? I bet there are lots of car deals they individually lose money on. Lots of folks in a dealership on payroll. Add in costs in land/building/floorplan/advertising/etc. I bet there is less made per car than you think. But again, everyone thinks they should make minimal profit. That's not a good way to stay in business long, especially when you take into account the economic swings as evidenced by the current pandemic.
Dealers do profit with the service department. Compare the hourly rate they charge, with what you thing the mechanic makes?

irojas

Reaction score
Why don’t the manufacturers just switch the model to a direct to consumer model? Order the vehicle direct, everyone pays the same exact price…MSRP? Sorry, but it’s not like the dealers provide any type of value at the point of sale…all their ROI is on the service side, selling financing packages and warranty packages.

After 100 years they are still using the same B.S., to sell cars…”this is our only one”. OH NO!!! It’s the only vehicle left on the planet??? I better pay whatever you want for it than!!!!

This is now the 3rd vehicle I’ve purchased out-of-state and it is WAY more convenient….better pricing, no hassles.
I totally agree with you, and I think this will happen soon. New cars only sold direct to consumer, and dealers selling used cars and a service department (Carmax..)

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you purchase a Tesla you realize how FU‘d the traditional new car buying experience is. My wife’s ordering and buying experience was painless. No uninformed and jerky salesman, zero price negotiating such as the infamous “let me check with my manager” pricing games, no pressure from the finance department “salesman” who wants to sell you everything under the sun such as an extended warranty, paint protection, fabric protection, alarm system, etc.

Our Tesla experience;

-Placed the order online from the comfort of home and payed a $100 order fee. We picked the model, color and options from the website
-Received a text message from Tesla stating that the vehicle has been built and will be shipping soon
-Received an e-mail on how you will be paying for the car. Cash, loan or lease. If cash, transfer the funds online. If a loan is needed everything is completed online including the down payment and application if you finance through Tesla
-Received a text that my vehicle is ready for pickup with a date a time. If it doesn’t meet you needs and can be changed.
-Head to the delivery center to inspect the car for pickup. Make a service appointment within 100 miles of taking delivery on your Tesla app if you find anything that needs adjustment or attention. If you find something major and decide to reject the car you simply find a representative onsite and let them know. They will place another order for a factory fresh vehicle. If all is well, click “delivery accepted” on the Tesla cell phone app
-Your phone will automatically unlock the car and you will find two key cards inside the center console for ”starting” the vehicle. For this you have 3 options to start the car. Use the key card, use your cell phone (by far the most popular) or order a Tesla key FOB.
-Sign the legal documents that are sitting on the passenger seat
-Drive to the exit and hand off signed paperwork to a Tesla representative
-Done!

Last edited:

Raptorny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I really think the tesla model is going to make the "dealership experience" go away.
as soon as they figure out how to make more than 10 thousand cars a year with more than 4 or 5 models

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the other side, it doesn't apply often to a Raptor, but in previous truck purchases, I have negotiated hard.

I worked with a guy that paid way more than me for a lesser model of the same truck. I like having the idiots that they can make the margin on out there and give more room to cut good deals for the savvy buyers.

I also like being able to pit dealer against dealer. You don't get that with the Tesla model.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the other side, it doesn't apply often to a Raptor, but in previous truck purchases, I have negotiated hard.

I worked with a guy that paid way more than me for a lesser model of the same truck. I like having the idiots that they can make the margin on out there and give more room to cut good deals for the savvy buyers.

I also like being able to pit dealer against dealer. You don't get that with the Tesla model.
This is where you are wrong though. They aren't taking advantage of the idiot and giving you a deal. They are taking more advantage of the idiot and then taking advantage of you to a lesser degree. Don't think that someone's uneducated experience is going to ensure you get a deal when you know what you are talking about. You just get taken advantage of to a lesser extent.

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, but you can do that from the comfort of your own home…send an email copy the sales clowns and their manager…”who can put together the best price” will earn my business!!!

I’ve now purchased 3 vehicles out-of-state because it is easier, faster and cheaper…I will never step foot in a dealership to make a purchase ever again!!!

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealers do profit with the service department. Compare the hourly rate they charge, with what you thing the mechanic makes?
No where in my post did I mention the dealer not making money on service. Fixed operations is usually their profit center. My post stated facts only related to car deals specifically.