GEN 2 Cam Phaser just fixed Now This loud noise - starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would raise hell about how dirty everything is also. One would think the area in front would be clean where they had to fix the cam phasers. Any decent mechanic cleans before they do open heart surgery on an engine or machine. If not, there will be dirt in places causing major problems. U should change you oil asap.
You bring up a great point. Thank you.
I am so mad when I am dealing with these people that it is sometimes hard for me to keep my thoughts straight.

Much appreciated.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some tapping noise is normal - the fuel pump is cam driven and does make a tapping sound, mine does anyway.
Thank you for your input. My common sense has left the building. As I previously stated, I am so mad that I even have to deal with this kind of thing, it is great to have input to help me focus on some details.

Thanks.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same tapping noise at warm idle. Also have the cam phasers issue at cold start. Heading in for service and an expensive rental car bill soon. Warm idle noise attached

Attachments

• IMG_0028.MOV
    14.7 MB

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, that loud tapping noise is suppose to be normal? :smiley-face-popcorn
I have the same tapping noise at warm idle. Also have the cam phasers issue at cold start. Heading in for service and an expensive rental car bill soon. Warm idle noise attached
Yep, that sounds like mine. Fuel pump. I'm guessing some are just louder than others? Maybe @FordTechOne can chime in?

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will sometimes sound like that and other times be very quiet. I don’t thing that is normal. Good luck with yours.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, that sounds like mine. Fuel pump. I'm guessing some are just louder than others? Maybe @FordTechOne can chime in?
It’s hard to tell from the video, but the HP fuel pump tends to be more of a loud “tick”. A dull knock from the upper timing cover at idle can be caused by the calibration (corrected in 21B10) or a phaser that is leaking down.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point nothing new to report. Same progression of tapping and screeching. I have a service appointment next week so I will update after that unless there is some new drama.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just dropped mine off for a noise and the dealer said cam phasers. I am not sure that’s what it is because it does it when warm.

I will wait to see what they figure out and go from there

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That does not sound good. It does sound like it is coming from the phaser spot as well but I guess we'll find out once they rip er up!