GEN 2 Cam Phaser just fixed Now This loud noise - starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One Friday I had a phone conversation with the shop foreman and I will take the truck back in again. I will also be uploading fresh videos with sound for them to review... again. My appointment with service isn’t until 2/15 so I won’t have anything to report about repairs until that time.

I will have look at the belt tensioner tomorrow and see what up.

Later !!!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That noise is OBVIOUSLY belt screech. Nothing to do with the starter. Your dealer is a criminal and the dealer “technician” is simply a goon. This crap is why Ford warranty reviewers are so picky. They must deal with these idi*ts daily, so their view of Ford “technicians” aligns with mine. They’re all just goons. If you expect them all to be useless idi*ts, you will be correct 99% of the time.

There are always the 1% like FordTechOne that actually have knowledge and skill. I’m aware of 3 in my lifetime. However, they are a dying breed, replaced by idi*ts with only some “training” from a trade school, possibly even online, or nothing at all.

I’ve read the ASE Technician Certification requirements and sample tests and can tell you for fact that those patches are for better pay only. They aren’t very difficult to get. The tests are too simple for anything other than hard-failed parts swapping. True system(s) knowledge required for diagnostics / troubleshooting is a lost skill. Parts swappers and idi*ts are what remain….

Worthless info, but here’s some FYI; I hold an FAA Airframe & Powerplant Certification, mainly due to my current job as a Systems Engineering analyst. I’m usually involved in every aspect of requirements, design, lab tests, and flight test, so I can see the “big picture” of a weapons system in “macro detail” to keep the engineering on track for success. I’m not a “real” engineer pigeonholed/degreed into a specific area. I point out their engineering/design mistakes before a new system is released and where they went wrong on currently fielded systems. Yes, I’m really old and have seen some really stup!d stuff done by really “smart” people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That noise is OBVIOUSLY belt screech. Nothing to do with the starter. Your dealer is a criminal and the dealer “technician” is simply a goon. This crap is why Ford warranty reviewers are so picky. They must deal with these idi*ts daily, so their view of Ford “technicians” aligns with mine. They’re all just goons. If you expect them all to be useless idi*ts, you will be correct 99% of the time.

Worthless info, but here’s some FYI; I hold an FAA Airframe & Powerplant Certification, mainly due to my current job as a Systems Engineering analyst. I’m usually involved in every aspect of requirements, design, lab tests, and flight test, so I can see the “big picture” of a weapons system in “macro detail” to keep the engineering on track for success. I’m not a “real” engineer pigeonholed/degreed into a specific area. I point out their engineering/design mistakes before a new system is released and where they went wrong on currently fielded systems. Yes, I’m really old and have seen some really stup!d stuff done by really “smart” people.

Dude. I totally am on the same page as you. I'm old also and have seen some shit. I have also done system design for IT and medical device manufacturing. Seeing the big picture is a natural thing. I can't bring my attitude with me to the dealer ... I used to and it never served me well. These bone heads have to follow the script:
1st they say we can't do shit until we diagnose the issue
2nd, 'we understand your frustration but this is our system and my hands are tied
3rd, I say but here is a video and I here is what I think ... bla bla bla... (them) Sir. we understand your frustration but this is our system and my hands are tied. We have to diagnose the problem before we can do anything. And we can't approve a loaner car for you because we don't have a diagnosis. (me) What? this is the 3rd time in 3 weeks my truck is back here for the same ************* reason.

**** me... this circular ******** *********** of a system does not serve Ford well. I love my truck but there is only some many times I can beat my head against this brick wall of service. END RANT !

Back to my point ...
I have to go to the dealer and be stupid ***** and show a vido and very politely ask for their help and point out that what they did the previous 2 times (coming up on 3) didn't fix the issue without offending anyone. I feel like these ******* dipshits are the same kids that all got trophies for playing sports even when they came in last place. **** ... I did it again ... sorry for the rant.

I'll update soon. Thanks.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sounds really similar to the screeching I had in my beater Silverado. It was a seized A/C compressor, so anytime it activated it would scream like that. Scared the crap out of me when it first happened.

Hopefully they get it sorted for you. I'm pretty lucky that I have a good servicing dealer about 1/2 an hour from me.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude. I totally am on the same page as you. I'm old also and have seen some shit. I have also done system design for IT and medical device manufacturing. Seeing the big picture is a natural thing. I can't bring my attitude with me to the dealer ... I used to and it never served me well. These bone heads have to follow the script:
1st they say we can't do shit until we diagnose the issue
2nd, 'we understand your frustration but this is our system and my hands are tied
3rd, I say but here is a video and I here is what I think ... bla bla bla... (them) Sir. we understand your frustration but this is our system and my hands are tied. We have to diagnose the problem before we can do anything. And we can't approve a loaner car for you because we don't have a diagnosis. (me) What? this is the 3rd time in 3 weeks my truck is back here for the same ************* reason.

**** me... this circular ******** *********** of a system does not serve Ford well. I love my truck but there is only some many times I can beat my head against this brick wall of service. END RANT !

Back to my point ...
I have to go to the dealer and be stupid ***** and show a vido and very politely ask for their help and point out that what they did the previous 2 times (coming up on 3) didn't fix the issue without offending anyone. I feel like these ******* dipshits are the same kids that all got trophies for playing sports even when they came in last place. **** ... I did it again ... sorry for the rant.

I'll update soon. Thanks.
100% truth of these dips hits that work at the dealers.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunday update.
1) cold start - no screeching belt noise but there is a Mild tapping sound. I could not tell if it was or was not the Belt Tensioner. This issue has been variable in intensity.
2) Hot engine - mild tapping but may just be my hyper sensitivity and normal.
3) luke warm engine after sitting for 2 hours - LOUD screeching happens. This is reproducible on a luke warm scenario. The tapping was there and I could not tell if it was or was not the tensioner.

I will repeat this tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would raise hell about how dirty everything is also. One would think the area in front would be clean where they had to fix the cam phasers. Any decent mechanic cleans before they do open heart surgery on an engine or machine. If not, there will be dirt in places causing major problems. U should change you oil asap.