Does this sound like cam phaser rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I would like some confirmation if this seems like cam phaser rattle. I have a 2017 and I took it to the dealer in Aug of 21 to perform the cam phaser repair with new parts. That was at around 50K miles and I now have 65K miles and this is what I hear on cold starts. This just started a couple weeks ago. It lasts just under 2 seconds on cold starts. If it is another cam phaser failure I hope I can get Ford to agree to repair this as I am now just out of warranty and they already did the work once before.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That likely sounds worse than it did the first time you had it fixed. Good luck!

lando_l44

Reaction score
Sounds like my 2018…i took it in to get the stabilizers checked and they told me there was a bulletin on the vct or something can’t remember the exact acronym they used..long story short my truck when in late February early march and still haven’t gotten it back…there’s a national backorder on the left valve cover gasket so it’s sitting there waiting for one…be mindful if they do repair it again make sure they got all the parts in first

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time I can hear properly came phaser default noise , thanks, good video ! Sure, mine never do a such noise, fortunately it's a 02/20 built date... (best built date, after new phaser et before covid problem :emotions33: )
it make me think that we should have a sepcial section in the forum for phaser, what a mess for those who make a search...
Same for topic about color, I don't really understand when a new topic is created just to ask what color I choose...
Sorry that's was my message revolution :33:

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like my 2018…i took it in to get the stabilizers checked and they told me there was a bulletin on the vct or something can’t remember the exact acronym they used..long story short my truck when in late February early march and still haven’t gotten it back…there’s a national backorder on the left valve cover gasket so it’s sitting there waiting for one…be mindful if they do repair it again make sure they got all the parts in first
The TSB only applies if you had a cold start rattle. There is no reason they should be replacing VCTs unless you brought it in for that symptom. Something doesn’t sound right there.