Cam Phaser Issue & Warranty Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tthe "slew of misinformation" in post #28 of this thread from ba123 was exactly- what again?

The statement that Ford had a faulty design? We all know the cam phaser desgin was perect.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The purpose of this forum is to help people. You posted a slew of nonsense and misinformation based on your complete lack of understanding and knowledge. That helps nobody and only adds confusion to the topic. If you don’t understand something don’t get on a soap box and start preaching.
Well, all I know is that my Toyota never had any of these issues!!:ehcapt:

spack

Reaction score
Another observation of the phaser part, both old and new, is in the backing plate with the loc-pin hole in it…. With this plate as installed and facing the engine from the front of the truck, the lock-pin filling/draining oil channel is counter clockwise of the actual hole. I think this means the channel would be exposed to the advancing cavity oil pressure or lack of pressure. So when we start the engine and the cam rotor is mid-locked, advance pressure is the mechanism by which the pin is unlocked. Retard pressure would not unlock the pin. What I’m trying to figure out is how PCM code actually controls the lock pin. From what I can see, the VVT control valve is a 4 port widget. One port is oil in. That port receives pump pressure. The pump port can be directed to either the advance or retard ports. Lastly the 4th port is a drain port. When advancing, the retard cavity must give back oil to the sump. So when the advance port is open, the drain port is open to the retard cavity. When the retard port is open, the advance cavity must give back oil to the sump through the drain port. In so doing, the advance cavity is lower pressure and thus the lock pin hole is also lower pressure. Keeping the lock pin from falling into the hole while retarding sounds tricky. The bias spring may play a role but I don’t know how it’s biased. It’d be easy to tell if I had a VVT in my hands. It sounds like some pretty clever coding though. Like really hard to pull off.

Last edited:

spack

Reaction score
Wear is clockwise from the hole so that's the advance direction. So that would imply it's the ejection of the pin and advancing that causes the wear. Still getting my **** together. And I'm still probably confused

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait... I'm wrong on the direction of wear. Wear is clockwise from the hole so that's the advance direction. So that would imply it's the ejection of the pin and advancing that causes the wear. Still getting my **** together. And I'm still probably confused
I have found that the wear, looseness, slight leakage, and random erosion patterns on and around my hole seem to be more age related, as opposed to lack of proper lubrication. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter