Ford Blue Certified warranty issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usafjames

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Blue Certified 2018 Race Red Raptor from Team Ford in Las Vegas in June with 86K miles. I'm a lifelong GM guy, but I always liked the Raptors and wanted some change and decided to purchase my first Ford. Before purchasing, I tried to get a deal with the dealership just incase I had cam phaser issues down the road (my main concern). The research on the truck (Oasis) already told me that the cam phasers were addressed back in 2021 at 51K miles with the CC version of the phasers. The dealership could not offer a deal of paying 50% down the road if i ended up having problems with the phaser because they said that money would have to be accounted for on the books and carried on for potentially years. Now the blue certified vehicle only came with a 3 month/4000 mile warranty. I had a trip planned to Michigan from Las Vegas within the week of me getting the truck, so I knew I would be over my 4k mileage limit within the duration of the trip. As I got about 1k miles into my trip I noticed some smoke out the exhaust after I had stopped and had the truck idling for 15 minutes on an offramp. Fast forward to the next day to when I arrived in Michigan and now I'm about 2500 miles into owning the truck. I start the truck and hear the Raptor now sounds like a 6.0 Powerstroke for the first 3 seconds. I drove to the nearest Ford Dealership (Riverside Ford in Escanaba) and talked with the Service Manager Travis (awesome guy) and he acknowledged the infamous cam phaser rattle, but nothing he could do as they were over a month out on service. He wrote up the issue handed me a copy for my record. I told him that I would be over my miles for warranty if I waited, but he said that as long as its in Fords system and under miles I will be fine. Fast forward to driving back to Vegas and now my miles are around 92k and some change. I call the dealership that I got the truck from (Team Ford) to schedule and appointment and they cant get me in for over a month. The service department says that they have no record of me going into any Ford dealer with the annotations that I described. This is where I learned about (intent to fix). They said that Oasis only logs vehicles when they come in with the intent to fix, meaning me dropping my truck off with the intention of it staying there to be repaired. I explained that obviously I went into a dealership in Michigan and they couldn't service the truck for over a month and with it being 2k miles from home I couldn't leave it there. At this point I opted to bring the truck to Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas, being that it was 45 minutes closer to my house. I talked with the service advisor and he got me an appointment within 3 days to diagnose the cam phaser issue. Start of real PIA

Before I brought the truck into Gaudin called and said they had no record of this vehicle being Blue Certified and for me to call Team Ford and see why. I called and the Finance team were very nice and called Ford corporate to see the issue on why its inactive. They said its not active because I'm over my miles (92k miles). I explained the situation and that I had the vehicle documented with the cam phaser problem at roughly 88k miles as annotated on the service record. Gaudin Ford recommended for me to contact Ford directly an open a case file. I contacted Ford and opened a case file to with they told me they can't do anything until the truck is placed into the (intent to fix) stage. I brought the truck into Gaudin Ford last night on the hopes that Ford will honor the warranty. The technician looked over the truck this morning with the official diagnosis and parts list to send to Ford to approve. My problem is now until they can determine Ford will honor the warranty, they can't give me a loaner vehicle or start the work.

Has anybody every experienced this issue with warranty work or am I just an anomaly? Am I wrong for thinking this should be covered under warranty or an easy fix on Ford's end especially with the paperwork/under miles when reported? Suggestions welcome

OP
OP
U

usafjames

Reaction score
Update: Ford covered only 40% of the bill and I was left with 60%. The tech broke the cam chain guide on the drivers side and I was left with paying for the part (not the dealership or Ford) which is crazy.

After a few phone calls after the truck was complete, I went onto my Ford Pass and was notified of a free 3 year 36k mile warranty attached to my account. Not sure who made the decision, but my case manager is the one who “added” the ESP to my account after this situation.

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that situation stinks. It seems they’re trying to make good on the back end, which is nice. I’m sure you were frustrated as I know I would be too.

kerrdawg

Reaction score
Update: Ford covered only 40% of the bill and I was left with 60%. The tech broke the cam chain guide on the drivers side and I was left with paying for the part (not the dealership or Ford) which is crazy.

After a few phone calls after the truck was complete, I went onto my Ford Pass and was notified of a free 3 year 36k mile warranty attached to my account. Not sure who made the decision, but my case manager is the one who “added” the ESP to my account after this situation.
how much did you ended up having to pay? if don't mind me asking.

OP
OP
U

usafjames

Reaction score
The total on my end was around $1350. They covered around $900. They told me warranty cost was around $2400, but if it wasn't going to be covered then the total would be around $6500.

Update: The truck is back in the shop since the 26th of September and is getting new pinion gears/seals/bearings for the rear end. This is the issue I was having when I purchased the truck from Team Ford and they replaced the drivers side axle thinking that was the only problem. Gaudin took apart the rear and found excess shaving and abnormal pinion wear. I knew it was a bearing sound all along and this was confirmed when they opened it up. Team Ford had to know all along and just wanted to send me on my way when they had the pumpkin open to replace the axle. The only hiccup I had was them taking over a week to get me a loaner with waiting on approval on warranty. They got me into a Mach E Gt. Nice, but not as refined as my Tesla Model Y Performance. Still waiting for the truck to get done as they told me it would be done the 5th of October, no update since the 3rd of October when I picked my loaner up. I'm in no hurry with these gas prices, but an update would be nice.

OP
OP
U

usafjames

Reaction score
lol my wife's car.. but I get it. Sold my fast toys 2014 Zl1 and 22 Charger Hellcat for something more "practical" in the Raptor. I dabble is all kinds of cars now days.

OP
OP
U

usafjames

Reaction score
So the “multi point “ inspection for blue cert doesn't include diff fluid eval?
That’s a good question.. I would assume that they would just check the level and not do a fluid analysis.

Got an update today on the truck from my service advisor. They had to resubmit the repairs to ESP for approval because the carrier bearing needed to be replaced. It was approved so just waiting on parts. We shall see how long this one takes. At this point it’s becoming comical.