Question on cam phaser repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabidranger

Reaction score
Apologies for yet another cam phaser post, but here goes.

Got a P0022 code (camshaft Position A - Timing Over-Retarded) and took truck to dealer. Dealer confirmed cam phaser and ordered parts Tuesday June 27th. I have 62k on the clock and never heard the rattle. Dealer even confirmed it was extremely faint, but was causing the cam code to pop up.

I did have a horrible startup rattle last year that I thought could be the phasers, but it was the waste-gate linkage for the turbo. $2 spring fix eliminated that, and never heard a rattle or peep outta the engine since.

My actual question, does the dealer replace anything other than the phasers? Timing chain, guides, oil change, coolant, etc. during this fix? If not, at 62k should I request to have additional stuff done while they have it opened up?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How did the determine the VCT phaser is at fault? DTC P0022 is indicative of a VCT solenoid issue, Ford even released the following service message due to common dealer misdiagnosis:

“Some 2015-2021 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0011, P0012, P0014, P0015, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0021, P0022, P0024 and/or P0025. This may be due to small debris causing the VCT solenoid to stick. Before attempting any component diagnosis or replacement of the VCT solenoid, refer to Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test HK12 to cycle the affected VCT solenoid 10 times to attempt to clear the debris.”

The VCT solenoid is located at the front of the valve cover and only requires valve cover removal, it’s not invasive. So at worst, it likely just needs a solenoid.

OP
OP
rabidranger

rabidranger

Reaction score
When I took it in for the P0022 code I asked that any TSB's be done, and I specifically asked then to do the software TSB related to the cam phasers (forget which one). the tech detected start up rattle and that the phasers needed replacement first. Sorry if I gave the impression one was related to the other.

edit: I will point out your quoted text to them and request they investigate the VCT solenoid while doing the phasers.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I took it in for the P0022 code I asked that any TSB's be done, and I specifically asked then to do the software TSB related to the cam phasers (forget which one). the tech detected start up rattle and that the phasers needed replacement first. Sorry if I gave the impression one was related to the other.
Warranty and extended warranty will not cover a TSB unless the issue exists and can be duplicated. The VCT software update was a customer satisfaction recall that was as released back in 2021; it expired on 8/1/22. The dealer can still install the software by updating the PCM, not sure if they’ll charge you for that.

The Startup rattle can’t be diagnosed unless it goes through a cold soak. Did they set it sit overnight to verify?

OP
OP
rabidranger

rabidranger

Reaction score
Back to my original question, does anyone know if the dealer replace anything other than the phasers? Timing chain, guides, oil change, coolant, etc. during this fix?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back to my original question, does anyone know if the dealer replace anything other than the phasers? Timing chain, guides, oil change, coolant, etc. during this fix?
No, the the procedure only includes replacing the VCT units, gaskets, and one-time use fasteners/lines. Any coolant lost is replaced. An oil and filter change is part of the service procedure.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, the the procedure only includes replacing the VCT units, gaskets, and one-time use fasteners/lines. Any coolant lost is replaced. An oil and filter change is part of the service procedure.
This is exactly what was listed on my phaser repair from last week. It even included, brake cleaner and engine shampoo lol. Oil filter and oil was listed too. I told the advisor to please refill with full syn and not the blend.

I looked over the truck after getting it back and couldn’t find any fault with the job. The tech was clean and looked really good.

Panthersfan

Reaction score
How much does the cam phaser job cost? I purchased my 2019 f150 limited from a Ford dealership and didn’t know that start up sound would was not normal until today. What are my options?