Cam phaser Rattle got me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the truck today and stared it up and there is was, the dreaded Cam Phaser Rattle. 49,999 miles on my 2019. I had the updates done at 19k, full synthetic every 5k-7k miles a good 20k of those miles were on the highway at distances over 50 miles at a time or multi state trips. I had an oil change today and of course they said no evidence. I have to leave it sit overnight. Man I thought I dodged a bullet but it looks like it was a direct hit.

Update: Dealership confirmed. A) no evidence of a tune b) valid cam phaser issue and parts ordered.

Last edited:

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines currently in the shop for them. Feel your pain. I’ve had it for about 20k miles but finally decided to take it in. They tried to trade me for a ‘23 but it was maroon and was not a fan of the color.

horizon670

Reaction score
Can you guys explain exactly. How do you know it's time to have the Cam phasers changed ?
Mine has exactly 50,000 miles and only at cold start very briefly I hear the rattle and it goes away. I also hear a rattle for the first 1 or 2 miles when I let off the throttle. I always try to keep a constant and slow acceleration to avoid that rattle. After that everything is fine. It's being doing it for years. Is this a sign that they will eventually need to be replaced ?
My question is, how long can you drive without replacing them since my truck is overseas and I would rather no touch or open anything.
Do you guys change them because they may cause other issues or just the annoying noise ?

Thank you

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on when but mine just got worse over time. I just didn’t want them tearing into my motor. As far as other damage, yes things can let go and cause significant damage. The rattle you hear while driving the first few minutes I would guess is the wastegate. Start the truck and look past the backside of your driver or passenger tire. There is a piece that taps. Normal sound.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'll start throwing codes once the cam timing gets too far out of whack.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you guys explain exactly. How do you know it's time to have the Cam phasers changed ?
Mine has exactly 50,000 miles and only at cold start very briefly I hear the rattle and it goes away. I also hear a rattle for the first 1 or 2 miles when I let off the throttle. I always try to keep a constant and slow acceleration to avoid that rattle. After that everything is fine. It's being doing it for years. Is this a sign that they will eventually need to be replaced ?
My question is, how long can you drive without replacing them since my truck is overseas and I would rather no touch or open anything.
Do you guys change them because they may cause other issues or just the annoying noise ?

Thank you
It sounds like you’re hearing normal wastegate rattle. Cam phaser rattle only occurs on cold starts and lasts 2-5 seconds.

horizon670

Reaction score
It sounds like you’re hearing normal wastegate rattle. Cam phaser rattle only occurs on cold starts and lasts 2-5 seconds.
I do hear the wastegate rattle but's it's different. This rattle comes only when in the morning and when I let off the gas pedal, I will hear it for 1 second and it goes.

Here is a short video I found that sounds exactly like what I hear when I let off the gas pedal, only when engine is still cold.

Last edited:

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I went to the truck today and stared it up and there is was, the dreaded Cam Phaser Rattle. 49,999 miles on my 2019. I had the updates done at 19k, full synthetic every 5k-7k miles a good 20k of those miles were on the highway at distances over 50 miles at a time or multi state trips. I had an oil change today and of course they said no evidence. I have to leave it sit overnight. Man I thought I dodged a bullet but it looks like it was a direct hit.

Update: Dealership confirmed. A) no evidence of a tune b) valid cam phaser issue and parts ordered.
You had which update? The one that was a software update that corrects the parking pin of the cam phasers?

Not sure if I stated that correctly.

Asking because I have a 2019 802A and had the software update that was the latest update which was supposed to keep it from happening.

I believe they had revised that software update three times so not sure if you had the latest one performed.

OP
OP
MRV99

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You had which update? The one that was a software update that corrects the parking pin of the cam phasers?

Not sure if I stated that correctly.

Asking because I have a 2019 802A and had the software update that was the latest update which was supposed to keep it from happening.

I believe they had revised that software update three times so not sure if you had the latest one performed.Bot
I had the TSB software update performed in 2021 and was not notified that there was any newer software update. It was supposed to fix it but there are plenty who have said the issue still happened. There are many who have stated that there is an updated design of the cam phasers which happened in 2019 late production but I am not 100% sure.

All my turbo motored cars I have short oil change intervals with synthetics but unfortunately it did not help

Last edited: