Cam phaser issues on Gen 2 and 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monte87

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am contemplating buying a Gen 2 raptor 2018 w 117k miles on it for $35K..
Does this price seem normal or high for these trucks? and does the CAM PHASER issues more prevalent on gen2's than Gen3's?
or do they even happen on Gen3's?

This cam phaser issues has me worried and giving me anxiety about the purchase on Gen2..

Thanks Anthony

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
View attachment 441602

I'm not even going to ask if you used the search function. Because it's obvious you didn't. All of your answers are just a few clicks away. This topic has been beaten to death.
Of course I have, been reading since I joined... just asking opinions from New friends that I made here.
I like the looks of the Gen 2 better, but like the exhaust of Gen 3 better.. I love the Raptor R, but not buying this truck for speed, I have my Mustang for that. I love the truck and wanna buy it. Just don't wanna be married to a dealership for cam phaser repairs. I hate the stealerships!!

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Of course I have, been reading since I joined... just asking opinions from New friends that I made here.
I like the looks of the Gen 2 better, but like the exhaust of Gen 3 better.. I love the Raptor R, but not buying this truck for speed, I have my Mustang for that. I love the truck and wanna buy it. Just don't wanna be married to a deal for cam phaser repairs. I hate the stealerships!!
200.gif

Opinions are like ********, look around enough on the internet and you'll see a few.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
If you truly read cam phaser threads, you would know the answer. A software update is the main issue. Updated parts were put on the production line mid 2020 model year. Zero Gen 3 phaser issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
If you truly read cam phaser threads, you would know the answer. A software update is the main issue. Updated parts were put on the production line mid 2020 model year. Zero Gen 3 washer issues.
I have been reading, my eyeballs hurt lol I heard and read about that update. But also read that lots of guys still had issues afterwards. Which made me very skeptical.
Since the updated parts were put out in mid 2020, has there been any issues with them innthe real world? On our forum...
What is a washer?? Gen 3.. please clarify
Thanks Anthony

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since the tsbs or w/e the proper name has ended they wont show on the carfax anymore if there was anything done to that truck in regards to fixes/programing. Get an oasis report on it and cross check it with stuff posted here.

Late 2020 ford changed the parts (manufacturer change, but others have mentioned the parts do fix some potential flaws). So late 2020s post september i think and the gen 3s have the latest and greatest and shouldnt have any issues. Any trucks prior should be fine too as long as they got the reprogramming with proper oil changes. Also cases of no issues with no fixes too, you just see more people saying they have issues cause thats what we do. Noone comes on here to complain they dont have an issue.

All that chunk of text aside, thats pretty darn high mileage for a high performance truck and with no idea how it was taken care of and driven before you may be dumping more money into something you thought you got a good deal on, or maybe not. The gamble is up to you, these trucks can be really reliable given the proper care.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
since the tsbs or w/e the proper name has ended they wont show on the carfax anymore if there was anything done to that truck in regards to fixes/programing. Get an oasis report on it and cross check it with stuff posted here.

Late 2020 ford changed the parts (manufacturer change, but others have mentioned the parts do fix some potential flaws). So late 2020s post september i think and the gen 3s have the latest and greatest and shouldnt have any issues. Any trucks prior should be fine too as long as they got the reprogramming with proper oil changes. Also cases of no issues with no fixes too, you just see more people saying they have issues cause thats what we do. Noone comes on here to complain they dont have an issue.

All that chunk of text aside, thats pretty darn high mileage for a high performance truck and with no idea how it was taken care of and driven before you may be dumping more money into something you thought you got a good deal on, or maybe not. The gamble is up to you, these trucks can be really reliable given the proper care.
Late 2019, so the 2020s should be good.