Cam phaser issues on Gen 2 and 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
since the tsbs or w/e the proper name has ended they wont show on the carfax anymore if there was anything done to that truck in regards to fixes/programing. Get an oasis report on it and cross check it with stuff posted here.

Late 2020 ford changed the parts (manufacturer change, but others have mentioned the parts do fix some potential flaws). So late 2020s post september i think and the gen 3s have the latest and greatest and shouldnt have any issues. Any trucks prior should be fine too as long as they got the reprogramming with proper oil changes. Also cases of no issues with no fixes too, you just see more people saying they have issues cause thats what we do. Noone comes on here to complain they dont have an issue.

All that chunk of text aside, thats pretty darn high mileage for a high performance truck and with no idea how it was taken care of and driven before you may be dumping more money into something you thought you got a good deal on, or maybe not. The gamble is up to you, these trucks can be really reliable given the proper care.
Hey space ghost,
Thanks for chiming in!!! Your reply is appreciated. Some engines can be bought w tons of miles and still run and bilulletproof. Perfect example 80s ford old 5.0 pushrod V8s... yiu can't kill them.. these ecoboost and new coyote 5.0s engines are temperamental w tons of more sophisticated parts...

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
Late 2019, so the 2020s should be good.
So then to avoid the issue completely via cam phasers, i should just buy a 2020 and up then. I really love the way the Gen 2 looks compared to Gen 3...
I wish the Gen 2 had Gen 3 engine and exhaust lmaoooo it be perfect!!!!

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey space ghost,
Thanks for chiming in!!! Your reply is appreciated. Some engines can be bought w tons of miles and still run and bilulletproof. Perfect example 80s ford old 5.0 pushrod V8s... yiu can't kill them.. these ecoboost and new coyote 5.0s engines are temperamental w tons of more sophisticated parts...
more so other parts, turbos, trans, iwe, electronics etc.

Had an issue with my cluster on a '99 expedition and would randomly while driving think its being stolen and shut off the truck, wasnt fun lol.
Few times with this truck its randomly thrown me errors that cancel out drive modes then go away and everythings fine.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So then to avoid the issue completely via cam phasers, i should just buy a 2020 and up then. I really love the way the Gen 2 looks compared to Gen 3...
I wish the Gen 2 had Gen 3 engine and exhaust lmaoooo it be perfect!!!!
Engine is the same. Tune is a bit different. Gen 2 was detuned to limit torque at lower rpms because rear springs on gen 2 are shit.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
more so other parts, turbos, trans, iwe, electronics etc.

Had an issue with my cluster on a '99 expedition and would randomly while driving think its being stolen and shut off the truck, wasnt fun lol.
Few times with this truck its randomly thrown me errors that cancel out drive modes then go away and everythings fine.
Damnnnnnn, sad stuff. Sorry to hear for sure.. I was watching a good video on Scott Kilmer on YouTube yesterday on new expedition and there issues. It was nuts!! How a trucknthat expensive had so many issues and dealer can fix. That's scary!!!
I hope and pray my new s550 stang is as durable and bulletproof as my 7 old foxbodies were in the past!!! I will be lucky lol and hopefully my newer Raptor as well.
Thanks Anthony

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
Engine is the same. Tune is a bit different. Gen 2 was detuned to limit torque at lower rpms because rear springs on gen 2 are shit.
Ohhhhhhh, ok!!! Understood.. yeah, they went from leaf springs to coils in newer Gen 3 right??
Has there been any documented cased of COOLANT INTRUSUION on there 3.5?? I had a 2016 fusion w a 2.0 ecoboost that had that issue at 10,000 miles, left a bad taste in my mouth. Traded it in and bought current 2021 Roush stage 3 mustang.
I love the Gen 3 exhaust, sounds great stock and has the active exhaust, I love that.. have it on stang. But also had a plan for Gen 2 exhaust if I went that route. Thinking or Borla ATAKs..
Anthony

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am contemplating buying a Gen 2 raptor 2018 w 117k miles on it for $35K..
Does this price seem normal or high for these trucks? and does the CAM PHASER issues more prevalent on gen2's than Gen3's?
or do they even happen on Gen3's?

This cam phaser issues has me worried and giving me anxiety about the purchase on Gen2..

Thanks Anthony
If you got anxiety, don’t do it.
Save the Jen Too for off roaders :cool:

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhh, ok!!! Understood.. yeah, they went from leaf springs to coils in newer Gen 3 right??
Has there been any documented cased of COOLANT INTRUSUION on there 3.5?? I had a 2016 fusion w a 2.0 ecoboost that had that issue at 10,000 miles, left a bad taste in my mouth. Traded it in and bought current 2021 Roush stage 3 mustang.
I love the Gen 3 exhaust, sounds great stock and has the active exhaust, I love that.. have it on stang. But also had a plan for Gen 2 exhaust if I went that route. Thinking or Borla ATAKs..
Anthony
no, only 2.0s had that flaw and was fixed later by ford in 20 or 21 i think, 3.5 didnt have that issue