GEN 2 FordTechOne recurring cam phaser rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Replacing 2 sets of phasers is not uncommon. As stated before the original design phasers were still being phased out in late 2020 so depending on how much stock your dealer had on hand they may have used the old parts. If you want to PM me your VIN I can see what parts were used if your receipt is nowhere to be found.

-Joe

OP
OP
W

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. I sent you the VIN.

Even though the dealer ordered the parts in Aug 2020, the warehouse that he ordered the parts from could have had older stock.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They were
Obviously trying to run the old part out at that time. I went to the dealer with the part number from that guy on youtube makeuloco. The write up verified usage of the new part perhaps you can check your exit docs to see if indeed they were the new part number.

View attachment 413557

View attachment 413558
That information is incorrect. The “cover” over the spring was due to a supplier change, not a functionality change. The current part number for 2017-2020 models is HL3Z-CD for both intake and exhaust; it’s been available since late 2019. Ford switched suppliers for 2021, hence the change to ML3Z-A. The appearance changed but they function the same. The TSB lists HL3Z-CD, but states ML3Z-A is available as an alternative if the HL3Z is on backorder.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That information is incorrect. The “cover” over the spring was due to a supplier change, not a functionality change. The current part number for 2017-2020 models is HL3Z-CD for both intake and exhaust; it’s been available since late 2019. Ford switched suppliers for 2021, hence the change to ML3Z-A. The appearance changed but they function the same. The TSB lists HL3Z-CD, but states ML3Z-A is available as an alternative if the HL3Z is on backorder.
Fair enough, you are the expert here. If anything else, the cover does at least serve as a visual confirmation of updated part at a glance.

Reaction score
Here is a video showing disassembly of two different style VCT units/"phasers" - it shows the ML3Z-A (the one with the cover) has a different shape for the lock-out pin and oil passages versus the HL3Z-CD (the one with the external spring exposed). It seems that is not only an appearance change - you can see the failure point of the the HL3Z lock-out pin hole design and how it is revised in the ML3Z part.

From doing a parts look-up for a 2018 Raptor, it lists both HL3Z-CD and ML3Z-A. When doing the same look-up for a 2021 and 2023 Raptor, it only lists ML3Z-A. Given that the newer Raptors (2021+) have not had widespread reporting of VCT cold start rattle, this leads me to speculate that the ML3Z-A *may be less prone to lock-out pin failure and cold start rattle due to a change in the lock-out pin hole design.

*Limited reporting of phaser issues for now on the newer trucks with ML3Z-A could also be attributed to lower engine hours and mileage.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a video showing disassembly of two different style VCT units/"phasers" - it shows the ML3Z-A (the one with the cover) has a different shape for the lock-out pin and oil passages versus the HL3Z-CD (the one with the external spring exposed). It seems that is not only an appearance change - you can see the failure point of the the HL3Z lock-out pin hole design and how it is revised in the ML3Z part.

From doing a parts look-up for a 2018 Raptor, it lists both HL3Z-CD and ML3Z-A. When doing the same look-up for a 2021 and 2023 Raptor, it only lists ML3Z-A. Given that the newer Raptors (2021+) have not had widespread reporting of VCT cold start rattle, this leads me to speculate that the ML3Z-A *may be less prone to lock-out pin failure and cold start rattle due to a change in the lock-out pin hole design.

*Limited reporting of phaser issues for now on the newer trucks with ML3Z-A could also be attributed to lower engine hours and mileage.
The old phaser shown in that video is not the current HL3Z-CD part, it is off of a 2018 Expedition. You can see the part number in the video is CB. The CD has has the same design as the new part.

emmanuelrmz

Reaction score
I just checked autozone for cam phaser and timing chain. Apparently they carry this part number 9-0738svvt2 anyone have any knowledge on if this fits?

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have 28,000 on my gen3. They are quiet. By this same mileage on my 2017 the cam phasers were rattling away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter