GEN 2 Cam Phaser just fixed Now This loud noise - starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang in there Rich.

Lol update I went to pick mine up Friday and on the test drive the technician smelled oil and found it was leaking oil out and he can’t figure why, so they put me in another loaner and have to wait till Monday.
You are so lucky you have a dealer putting you in a loaner. I am out of pocket for a rental until the dealer service makes a determination. That is the salt in the wound.

Good luck with your truck. I am rooting for you !!!!

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are so lucky you have a dealer putting you in a loaner. I am out of pocket for a rental until the dealer service makes a determination. That is the salt in the wound.

Good luck with your truck. I am rooting for you !!!!

My loaner with crank windows and manual locks. The race red is incredible in the sun. Lol

905EAC29-D18F-4956-98B4-AE1570661390.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got my truck back and it sure is quiet. Lol said my diesel noise was bad phasers.

View attachment 343567
Great news. My diesel noise was gone also after the initial cam phaser fix. The dealer F'd up a bunch of other **** along the way for me. Still waiting for a call back for this weeks update.

I'm glad your issue is resolved.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great news. My diesel noise was gone also after the initial cam phaser fix. The dealer F'd up a bunch of other **** along the way for me. Still waiting for a call back for this weeks update.

I'm glad your issue is resolved.
We shall see. Apparently the oil leak after the phaser install was a small fracture on the drivers side valve cover so they replaced that. Not sure if it was mechanics fault or my Raptor runs.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh boy did I talk to the dealership today ... Let's just say I was accused of trying to bully the service manager into paying for my rental. How can I bully someone over the phone when they have my truck hostage... crazy. This dealership refuses to accept any burden for my rental until the have a conclusive diagnosis. Okay .. Here is the fun part. I made an appointment to bring my truck in last week (over 3 weeks ago) so that I could be looked at asap. The truck sat on their floor for 2 plus days with no attempt to diagnose it which means I am paying for a rental for their slowness. I told them this is not fair to me to take off work bring my truck in ... for the second time for the same thing.

They insist the A/C compressor assembly is bad and making the screeching. I suggested that the sequence of events makes it plausible for the A/C to be a byproduct of reassembly gone wrong after the Cam Phaser repair. There Shop Manager said there is no way that can happen. The belt with its grooves would simply not work if something was wrong during assembly OR there would be codes from an importer assembly. I told him that is was suspect that immediately after the Cam Phaser repair that ALL 3 of my issues started. I will give them that the Rattle and Tapping can be a little random and Maybe they can't replicate it every single time to be confident of a diagnosis. Fine. The A/C ******** is just retarded (and not in an ignition reference).

Forgive me if I am rambling and not making perfect sense. This is so infuriating and frustrating. It was like talking to a 3 year old kid who could only say NO ... No .... No and not listen to my story. All I got was " That is not our policy ... How dare you try and bully me into paying for your rental ... "

Now for the icing on this Shit Cake ...
Near the end of our conversation I reminded them that I paid about $89,000 for this truck in 2018 (markups) along with the extended warranty... bla bla bla... and I am not feeling like this is good customer service. The service manager actually said well sales has nothing to do with the service department (and more stupid stuff)... and by the way... the dealership was sold 2 years ago and we are a different company. I about pooped my pants from this ridiculous conversation. Oh my god ... This is the freekin 3 year old I mentioned earlier. I had to calm down then we agreed that they will try and get authorization tomorrow to replace the A/C tomorrow. I will pull my truck out of there if things go bad tomorrow.

Thank you all for letting me vent and I hope nobody has to go through this kind of crap.

If you are in the Los Angeles area DO NOT BUY OR DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY :

Sunrise Ford of North Hollywood
5500 Lankershim Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 91601
(818) 980-9800

Yes ... I know Galpin Ford in Northridge is good. They refused to work on the Cam Phaser issue.

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
oh boy did I talk to the dealership today ... Let's just say I was accused of trying to bully the service manager into paying for my rental. How can I bully someone over the phone when they have my truck hostage... crazy. This dealership refuses to accept any burden for my rental until the have a conclusive diagnosis. Okay .. Here is the fun part. I made an appointment to bring my truck in last week (over 3 weeks ago) so that I could be looked at asap. The truck sat on their floor for 2 plus days with no attempt to diagnose it which means I am paying for a rental for their slowness. I told them this is not fair to me to take off work bring my truck in ... for the second time for the same thing.

They insist the A/C compressor assembly is bad and making the screeching. I suggested that the sequence of events makes it plausible for the A/C to be a byproduct of reassembly gone wrong after the Cam Phaser repair. There Shop Manager said there is no way that can happen. The belt with its grooves would simply not work if something was wrong during assembly OR there would be codes from an importer assembly. I told him that is was suspect that immediately after the Cam Phaser repair that ALL 3 of my issues started. I will give them that the Rattle and Tapping can be a little random and Maybe they can't replicate it every single time to be confident of a diagnosis. Fine. The A/C ******** is just retarded (and not in an ignition reference).

Forgive me if I am rambling and not making perfect sense. This is so infuriating and frustrating. It was like talking to a 3 year old kid who could only say NO ... No .... No and not listen to my story. All I got was " That is not our policy ... How dare you try and bully me into paying for your rental ... "

Now for the icing on this Shit Cake ...
Near the end of our conversation I reminded them that I paid about $89,000 for this truck in 2018 (markups) along with the extended warranty... bla bla bla... and I am not feeling like this is good customer service. The service manager actually said well sales has nothing to do with the service department (and more stupid stuff)... and by the way... the dealership was sold 2 years ago and we are a different company. I about pooped my pants from this ridiculous conversation. Oh my god ... This is the freekin 3 year old I mentioned earlier. I had to calm down then we agreed that they will try and get authorization tomorrow to replace the A/C tomorrow. I will pull my truck out of there if things go bad tomorrow.

Thank you all for letting me vent and I hope nobody has to go through this kind of crap.

If you are in the Los Angeles area DO NOT BUY OR DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY :

Sunrise Ford of North Hollywood
5500 Lankershim Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 91601
(818) 980-9800

Yes ... I know Galpin Ford in Northridge is good. They refused to work on the Cam Phaser issue.
Damn that sucks. Bunch of incompetent people.

Why did Galpin refuse to work on the cam phaser issue? How can they/ Isn't it a warranty/recall/tsb issue?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most mechanics these days just replace parts until the problem goes away, diagnostic skills are nonexistent, if a scanning tool doesn't show them where the start line is, they have no idea how to get into the game. I've watched the HVAC trade go this way over the last few years as microprocessors take over diagnostic skills. Parts changers!!