Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Come to think of it. I don’t recall exactly what the issue was with the cam phaser other than the suppler to ford being the source of the bad phaser. I don’t know if it was a design issue, or a suppler manufacturing issue. @FordTechOne, was the cause of the issue discussed before?

It was actually a combination of both; the original design was prone to having the locking pin stick, which appears to have been the result of tolerance variation from the supplier. That is why not all 2017/2018 models will experience the issue. In order to resolve the issue in service and production, Ford redesigned the phaser with a more robust locking pin mechanism. F-150's received the new phaser design in 07/18, Expedition/Navigator received the new design in 04/19 (vehicle build dates).

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was actually a combination of both; the original design was prone to having the locking pin stick, which appears to have been the result of tolerance variation from the supplier. That is why not all 2017/2018 models will experience the issue. In order to resolve the issue in service and production, Ford redesigned the phaser with a more robust locking pin mechanism. F-150's received the new phaser design in 07/18, Expedition/Navigator received the new design in 04/19 (vehicle build dates).
Oh. Gotcha. And sorry I got the 4/19 and 7/18 dates confused earlier. Thanks for the clarification.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cam phaser issue is not a faint rattle. It's a very distinct, metallic rattle that is audible from a distance away when using remote start.

The problem with threads like this is that everyone starts to over analyze their vehicles looking for noises which in many cases are just normal cold start engine operation.

Its sort of faint but i can hear it on startup from maybe 20ft away. Hopefully its nothing, believe me i dont want it to be it lol

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its sort of faint but i can hear it on startup from maybe 20ft away. Hopefully its nothing, believe me i dont want it to be it lol

I hear you.

A cam phaser locking pin issue is a very distinct and audible rattle on a cold start; if you don't hear that then you're probably fine.

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the waste gate rattle that goes away it's faint and you can hardly hear it. If you have the fantastic phaser rattle you will know RIGHT AWAY. It's so loud, it sounds like someone threw marbles in your intake. It's distinctive and loud as hell and unsettling...

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the waste gate rattle that goes away it's faint and you can hardly hear it. If you have the fantastic phaser rattle you will know RIGHT AWAY. It's so loud, it sounds like someone threw marbles in your intake. It's distinctive and loud as hell and unsettling...

Now that you describe it as such, it could be more so wastgate then!

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys, I have been researching BG Products, and they will cover engine repair for up to a certain dollar amount if you start using their products before 50,000 miles. This includes cam phasers for these trucks. Sterlingswildwest has posted many times about how they have covered his repairs. 80,000 hard miles on his raptor when his cam phaser went and apparently they covered it.. I am considering usin BG products instead of investing in an extended warranty ( still working on figuring out all the costs of their products).

But I was JW how much one of these Cam Phaser jobs would be without warranty? if it is over what BG will cover I will likely just go with Ext Warranty

Reaction score
Got the rattle. Took her in today. Gave the dealer the video, the part number and the TSB number. Hopefully its gets done without incident. We'll see how the only Ford dealer in Costa Rica responds. Thanks to all for all the help! I'll post updates when I have them.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it turned out to be the phaser in my case.
Parts backordered for about 3 weeks!

Great...