Diesel Clattering Cam Phaser Sounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymare404

Reaction score
Ok, I have the cam phaser issue with my truck. Diagnosed and confirmed rattle on start and will be having them replaced on May 16 2022 by Ford. I have 80k on it. This is not the issue or question I have. I have read all the threads about everyone's phaser issues and hope that mine will all go away after that service.

What my concern is that my engine is making a clatter like a diesel engine while just idling. It has the clatter on startup but it clatters when hot and idling as well. Has anyone that has had the phasers replaced also had the clattering at idle or am I in for more hurt? I have been keeping an eye on my oil level and it is sitting perfect on the dipstick so I am not running low on oil. I have the FBA warranty to 100k and an aftermarket until 130k so I covered, but I did hear that if the timing chain needs done, it will be at least july or august due to national backorder.

I am also concerned with the engine clatter during idle if i should be driving it still. I was told by the service manager it will be fine to drive, but my family has a camping trip coming up and I have to pull our camper 2.5 hrs to the campsite and drive around that weekend and then back.

The question I have is, should I SEND IT and hope for the best or should I park it and just ask the father in law if I can borrow his truck to pull the camper that weekend?

I beseech the knowledge of all of you...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you had recall 21B10 completed? The original engine calibration contributed to excessive wear of the cam phasers, which can cause both a startup rattle as well as a clatter/knocking noise at hot idle. The new software and replacement of the phasers should take care of both issues. It’s unlikely that the timing chain would need to be replaced, as it is not affected by the wear internal to the phasers.

OP
OP
Jaymare404

Jaymare404

Reaction score
From what i was told, 21B10 has been completed on my truck. I would assume that they did it so that they could order the cam phasers... It also does not say 21b10 in my open CSP's on my ford app either so I am guessing that my phasers are just BAD BAD! lol.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what i was told, 21B10 has been completed on my truck. I would assume that they did it so that they could order the cam phasers... It also does not say 21b10 in my open CSP's on my ford app either so I am guessing that my phasers are just BAD BAD! lol.
Yep, if 21B10 isn’t on your FordPass app then it was completed.

OP
OP
Jaymare404

Jaymare404

Reaction score
Yep, if 21B10 isn’t on your FordPass app then it was completed.
Awesome! Thanks for the response. Is it ok to drive and pull with it sounding like this until it can get fixed by ford or should I sideline her until then? I just dont want to do any further damage to the engine that will cause more headaches down the road for me.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the response. Is it ok to drive and pull with it sounding like this until it can get fixed by ford or should I sideline her until then? I just dont want to do any further damage to the engine that will cause more headaches down the road for me.
According to the recall notice it’s fine to drive; the phasers may continue to wear, but that shouldn’t affect anything else.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Picture of your Mach 1, I had a 71 mach 1 with the red and black interior, was a big block as well, but auto.