Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobW33

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems like text book cam phaser noise. I'm due for an oil change but want to get this sorted at the same time. Is there a TSB and part number(s) I can tell the dealer about so I am certain I'll be getting the revised part (plus new software)? My is a Feb. 2018 build with just over 48K. Noise started a month or so ago. Zero mods on the truck and super well cared for - all dealer maintenance every 5000 miles. This start was after engine was sitting for a couple of hours. On cold start it takes a bit longer to settlle down.
View attachment 170127
Dealer confirmed phasers need to be replaced. Will take them a week to complete the job, I assume because of parts or labor. They don't want me driving it in the meantime. From what they tell me they have "a lot of experience" with these and they were familiar with the latest TSB. Hoping they don't rush and do a clean job on this.

RobW33

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree! The repair should only take two (2) days to complete.
The impression I got was that the tech doing the work is backed up. I did ask about parts availability and it didn't seem like an issue. I'm not sure what would motivate them to hang on to my truck for the extra 3 days. Maybe compensation from Ford? I don't need a rental. Quality of service advisors is dubious - but I was happy the guy I'm working with understood the latest TSB.