Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't need a TSB to talk to a dealer.

Not sure where you are in DC but Ted Brit Ford in Chantilly is very aware of the issue and will fix it if you have an issue with the cam phasers.

My wife's 2018 Lariat had an issue and I sent them a video and they knew right away and asked me to make an appointment.

PM me and I can provide their info. They are great to work with.

@FordTechOne , you said A TSB (20-2191) is released, called the dealer they are not aware of it. Any thoughts?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne , you said A TSB (20-2191) is released, called the dealer they are not aware of it. Any thoughts?

They are probably trying to avoid diagnosing your vehicle over the phone. Service Advisors are not supposed to diagnose issues, only document the customer concern and provide that information to the technician. Once the technician verifies the concern, they run OASIS and will see the TSB come up under their symptom coding.

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8500 miles and no issues, yet... Truck runs like a champ and I've beaten the hell out of it off road (mainly stock, just got a custom ECU/TCM tune 200 miles ago)

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my 18 is having this issue now. When I start it cold in the morning it has a pretty distinct and loud rattle for a few seconds. I'd say from experience its about the time the engine would take for the oil pressure to come up to normal. Truck has almost 50k on it. Called my dealer and they said they're busy until August and the parts are on backorder so they have no idea when they could even get the parts. That's Mike Naughton ford in Denver. Anyone know if any of the other dealers in Denver are better? These guys seem to be bottom of the barrel more or less. You'd think this would be a great warranty job for a dealer, but they seem uninterested.

BendSprinter

Reaction score
36,5xx Cam Phaser Failure. Sounded like a diesel for 3 seconds or so when sitting for a day or more. Video'd for my dealer. Showed them the video - immediately they said phaser failure. Went in the next day, 5 days later truck is back. They said they put in the "updated" phasers, replaced all 4 per Fords direction, and updated the PCM. Bright side, free oil/coolant change.... Oddly enough had the oil pan reseal done a while back - its almost like a free oil change program at this point. Still love the truck!

Maybe I just have a great dealer but could not have been more drama free.

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My early production 17 started very quietly a little while ago but now is pretty loud. So the new parts are a fix? I was worried the new ones would do the same thing. I don’t really want them tearing into my engine unless it’ll actually be a Permanent fix.

LeboRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back from the cam phaser repair.
Got a CEL P04DB :banghead:

Time to do some researching really tired of the dealer they had my truck for a month.

LeboRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome on mine I just got an extra qrt of oil. :cool:

36,5xx Cam Phaser Failure. Sounded like a diesel for 3 seconds or so when sitting for a day or more. Video'd for my dealer. Showed them the video - immediately they said phaser failure. Went in the next day, 5 days later truck is back. They said they put in the "updated" phasers, replaced all 4 per Fords direction, and updated the PCM. Bright side, free oil/coolant change.... Oddly enough had the oil pan reseal done a while back - its almost like a free oil change program at this point. Still love the truck!

Maybe I just have a great dealer but could not have been more drama free.