Cam phasers in your garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yup. The part number is 19390HV for the ecoboost. Way cheaper, and it's in stock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-100527_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-100527_Samsung Internet.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 9

rando_marsh

Reaction score
Awesome write-up! I'm visiting a year later as I prepare to change my stretched chains. Hopefully some knowledgeable individual is still active to answer my question about special repair tools.

In reviewing the service manual procedures, it seems about a dozen special tools are required for this job, mostly to press seals into the front cover. However, your writeup only specifically mentions the camshaft holding tool and the front crank seal tool. Are the others unnecessary where these seals can be pressed in by hand or with a good old hammer/socket combo?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome write-up! I'm visiting a year later as I prepare to change my stretched chains. Hopefully some knowledgeable individual is still active to answer my question about special repair tools.

In reviewing the service manual procedures, it seems about a dozen special tools are required for this job, mostly to press seals into the front cover. However, your writeup only specifically mentions the camshaft holding tool and the front crank seal tool. Are the others unnecessary where these seals can be pressed in by hand or with a good old hammer/socket combo?
Chain elongation was an issue with early (11-14) Gen 1 engines; there’s a TSB for it, but it can be avoided by running full synthetic and following a 3k-5k mile oil change interval. What concern are you having that you believe the chains are stretched?

Also, I see it’s your first post, what truck do you have? Feel free to introduce yourself in the new members section.

rando_marsh

Reaction score
Chain elongation was an issue with early (11-14) Gen 1 engines; there’s a TSB for it, but it can be avoided by running full synthetic and following a 3k-5k mile oil change interval. What concern are you having that you believe the chains are stretched?

Also, I see it’s your first post, what truck do you have? Feel free to introduce yourself in the new members section.
2018 F150 with 2nd Gen 3.5L Ecoboost. Unfortunately not a Raptor: please don't get out your torches, this is one of the best writeups I found for the engine. I'm aware the Raptor engine is high output but from what I gather the timing system is virtually identical.

The short story for the chains is because the dealer said so after an issue I had, but since I'm out of warranty and a decent wrench I don't want to pay for the labor.

The long story is my truck developed cam phaser rattle on cold starts this winter, and I noticed a very intermittent rough idle upon deceleration after sustained highway speeds (maybe once or twice a month of daily driving). I'm not a regular on forums and back when I bought the truck (almost) new, the research I did hyped up the 2nd gen 3.5L as having fixed the rampant timing issues from Gen 1. Unfortunately it seems the intervening years since I bought the truck have revealed cam phaser issues for Gen 2 as well, but I remained blissfully ignorant until now. Admittedly I didn't do much research on my issues this winter, I had a newborn to take care of. CEL gave me a wakeup call during a rough idle episode last month with P0018 and P0021, and I finally did a deep dive and learned all about cam phasers etc. I found a specific thread somewhere where someone posted the official Ford diagnostic procedures for the codes I got, indicating that a possible cause could be stretched timing chains or broken timing chain guide. I think I hear chain slapping on a cold start plus the phaser rattle, so I had a dealer look and they confirmed chain issues. I've got over 63k miles, so out of warranty.

Turns out I've also been a bad boy with my oil change interval of 7.5-10k, so I'm tearing this beast down and changing all the timing components. Then I'll be a good boy from here on out until I trade it in: 2 generations of constant timing component issues that require what I consider obsessive levels of preventive maintenance (3k OCI, really?) have soured me on the Ecoboost and probably Ford in general.