Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Apparently the 'book' doesn't mandate the cab to come off for the job, some tech's may prefer it and will do it. I think I'd prefer not to have the cab removed but that's just me as I think certain wiring needs to be undone.
Not me, I'd prefer whatever the tech feels more comfortable with. I can't imagine leaning over the fender trying to properly torque all that crap. Not saying they would ever half-ass anything, but, you know. They've been yanking cabs ever since the 6.0 diesel came out. I wouldn't worry about it. My buddy was a good diesel tech at a Ford dealer back then, he had two bays of his own, and had helpers. They had it down to a science.

Reaction score
The noise won't be constant and will only occur on a cold start; that dealer doesn't seem to understand the issue.

A TSB (20-2191) was released this morning which supercedes the SSM; same service part numbers, just now an official bulletin instead of a service message to standardize the labor time/parts list.

Definitely suggest calling Ford corporate for additional support; they should be able to find you a dealer willing to help and set up and appointment for you. Contact number is (800) 392-3673
Could you post a link to this TSB? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not me, I'd prefer whatever the tech feels more comfortable with. I can't imagine leaning over the fender trying to properly torque all that crap. Not saying they would ever half-ass anything, but, you know. They've been yanking cabs ever since the 6.0 diesel came out. I wouldn't worry about it. My buddy was a good diesel tech at a Ford dealer back then, he had two bays of his own, and had helpers. They had it down to a science.

Both you and @nikhsub1 bring up good points.

Because pulling cabs became so common place in the 6.0L days, Ford engineered the newer models to make it a relatively seamless process. Everything is designed to disconnect mid-point to allow the frame and cab to separate without damaging any systems/components; it's essentially plug-and-play. There is even a published Workshop Manual procedure that covers every step. As far as wiring harnesses, the in-line harness connectors are placed so that the body can be separate from the chassis without removing or stressing any harnesses.

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine to the dealer over the weekend and they called today to say they had the parts in stock and were going to do the repair tomorrow and wednesday

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 10/2018 build, just started around 36k miles, faint rattle on cold startup for 2-3 secs.
It doesnt really bother me a lot, but im wondering if i should take it in

MJK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 10/2018 build, just started around 36k miles, faint rattle on cold startup for 2-3 secs.
I’m starting to hear it. More often than not now. 2018 SCREW. ***** bummer. Do you HAVE to take it in? I’m assuming it can’t be good and is a sure sign of a pending failure.

noorj

Reaction score

That's a bummer, I thought my 10/2018 build date raptor would be save from this due to the build date. Hope it all works out for you!

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they did mine earlier in the week and cross threaded a bolt on my skid plates and did not rotate my tires when I asked them to or reset the oil life I am wondering if they actually did an oil change