Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_Satch_

Reaction score
Just got mine back from the cam phaser warranty work. Replaced all 4 phasers. Had the parts in 2 days. I was the second Raptor in line they had there for changing them out. The first one needed all the timing components too. Took 2 weeks. Actually less because I dropped the truck off 2 days early cause I was in the area, and they kept it overnight in the end to make sure it didn't do it again on a cold start. I ran it hard on the way home, everything seems good to go. Time will tell though!
-Satch

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just traded my 2018 in on a new 20. No failure - 74k miles. It was starting to make a little noise on cold starts however. Had 27k on my 2017 when a tree fell on it no issues with that one either. Hopefully my 20 is trouble free. Want to tune this one.....

D

Deleted member 17706

I think my 18 is having this issue now. When I start it cold in the morning it has a pretty distinct and loud rattle for a few seconds. I'd say from experience its about the time the engine would take for the oil pressure to come up to normal. Truck has almost 50k on it. Called my dealer and they said they're busy until August and the parts are on backorder so they have no idea when they could even get the parts. That's Mike Naughton ford in Denver. Anyone know if any of the other dealers in Denver are better? These guys seem to be bottom of the barrel more or less. You'd think this would be a great warranty job for a dealer, but they seem uninterested.

I don’t live in Denver, but I blew my PS coming across Wyoming as I was on my way to Denver—it got down to -37F. Phil Long took good care of me and got it fixed. There are so many Ford dealerships in the Denver area that you should be able to find one to do it way before August.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m at around 31K miles and I admittedly here a brief clatter for maybe 1/2 second on a cold start.

Sure I could get them replaced but I’m not sure there is a reason. It runs fine. Drives fine. Certainly it’s not out of time. Is it eventually going to get bad enough that it’ll need to be replaced? Probably.... I’ll wait until then... because I’m betting the replacement phasers are going to eventually do it too. No sense wasting good mileage.

BendSprinter

Reaction score
I’m at around 31K miles and I admittedly here a brief clatter for maybe 1/2 second on a cold start.

Sure I could get them replaced but I’m not sure there is a reason. It runs fine. Drives fine. Certainly it’s not out of time. Is it eventually going to get bad enough that it’ll need to be replaced? Probably.... I’ll wait until then... because I’m betting the replacement phasers are going to eventually do it too. No sense wasting good mileage.

When it finally goes it REALLY noticeable. My seriously sounded like an old diesel for almost 5 seconds; thats when I took mine in. Its an ugly noise...

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im dropping off the truck tmw for cam phaser change.

Its running a mpt tune, should i just drop it off as is, or will cam phaser change requiring pcm flash cause an error?

The stock file i have regretably is a whipple stock tune

BendSprinter

Reaction score
So im dropping off the truck tmw for cam phaser change.

Its running a mpt tune, should i just drop it off as is, or will cam phaser change requiring pcm flash cause an error?

The stock file i have regretably is a whipple stock tune

I always reload my "stock file" prior to dropping it off at the dealer for fear of a tune discovery. Not sure if this is necessary but it makes me feel good. Based on the PCM update they will apply during the fix you will need to update your tunes. To do this they will have you download your stock config - so you will have a "return to stock" tune going forward as I am guessing that will be the Ford file. The cost for me was $50 (minus a 25% sale they were having). That got me a new stock file as well as updated tunes for the 3 tunes I previously had.

The new tunes, with the PCM update are amazing! Better than the ones I have been running for the last two years (that I thought were unbeatable).

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why FORD is ignoring this issue? Do you guys think there will be a recall?

What are you talking about?

Ford issued a TSB with updated parts and a PCM calibration to resolve the issue. Why would there be a recall? Recalls are for safety issues; this concern is not a safety issue in the least.