Cam phasers in your garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job Grey. I have done this job a few times and if your not afraid of a wrench can save you a large stack of dollars. After market parts set me back around $200 including a high volume Melling oil pump.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great job Grey. I have done this job a few times and if your not afraid of a wrench can save you a large stack of dollars. After market parts set me back around $200 including a high volume Melling oil pump.
High volume, high pressure, or both? Just curious

Didn’t realize they offered those until last night.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curiosity, did you remove the radiator to do all of this, seems like from the pictures it would make it immensely easier to reach some of the front engine components?

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Curiosity, did you remove the radiator to do all of this, seems like from the pictures it would make it immensely easier to reach some of the front engine components?
No radiator removal, but you do drain the fluids and pull most of the tubes. Even if you did remove the radiator, you then have the transmission cooler still there. It wasn't horrible bending over.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats, great job, it take time, but you know who has done the job and how ! bcs I would feel a little nervous to know my truck out of body in a garage...

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No radiator removal, but you do drain the fluids and pull most of the tubes. Even if you did remove the radiator, you then have the transmission cooler still there. It wasn't horrible bending over.
Thanks for this!
I was asking because mine goes in a couple of weeks to the dealer to change over the cam phasers under warranty/TSB, so avoiding doing it myself (which if i had to do myself I would), but also have a new Full Race radiator in the box to get installed and was sort of hoping the dealer needed to pull the radiator during the cam phaser change---then I was gonna see about getting them to swap in the Full Race while they were at it (I mean, if I don't have to do it myself, I don't have to do it myself).
I have to say, I am glad Ford is taking care of phasers instead of me, cause I have been having trouble finding the time to do the other stuff, like new front shocks and Geiser springs (have all the parts, just not the time), air bumps, etc.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
I was gonna see about getting them to swap in the Full Race while they were at it (I mean, if I don't have to do it myself, I don't have to do it myself).
It may be a good idea to put the full race radiator in the bed and ask them again when you drop it off! Essentially, all fluids are already drained and all coolant lines disconnected anyway... The only remaining step in changing out the radiator is to literally pull the grille, a few bolts, undo the fans, and pull it out. That is not a lot of incremental labor.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Are those T55 or T55 plus on the phasers? I still don't really understand why they even have a plus. Nevertheless, great writeup and pictures, appreciate it!