Cam phasers in your garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Everyone seems to be talking about cam phasers these days. You’ve either already had them done, or you may be on a wait list to get into your local dealer. Since there is so much hype on the subject, I thought it might be a good idea to show more of what happens during this service. Maybe you want to attempt it yourself. Maybe you value seeing the parts. Either way, strap in for my walk through :)

Let’s start with, what are cam phasers anyway? Well, the manuals refer to this system as Variable Cam Timing (VCT), which allows the ECU to adjust the camshaft positions relative the crankshaft position while the engine is running. The VCT system works on hydraulic pressure from the engine oil. Each camshaft has a VCT actuator on the top of the head that regulates oil flow through the system. This oil flows through some porting in the camshaft and pushes on the “phaser” which are physically located on the end of each camshaft. Inside the phaser, the oil pressure advances the timing of the camshaft up to a mechanical stop. Think of it like a hydraulic piston working against a spring - because it is. I believe the ECU can adjust the camshaft to any angle within its range. All four camshafts are independently controlled and have their own position sensor. This is a fancy little motor.

Why do we have this? Well, this provides the best characteristics of camshaft profiles for drivability and power. Think about a cammed big block that can hardly keep an idle. Performance and idle don’t always go hand in hand. Except, when you can vary the cam timing at will. Now, you can adjust to have the ideal cam profile for starting/ idle and also have the ideal profile for WOT performance. Now that my little history lesson is over, let’s get into what it takes to change out these things.

When the cam phasers "go bad” they seem to lose or reduce their ability to phase. Maybe the spring on the end loses tension in the old design. Since these actuators work on hydraulic pressure, the system is “weakest” at engine startup when oil pressure is at its lowest. The startup rattle we hear is this hydraulic actuator rattling around until oil pressure is able to control the position. It only lasts a few seconds. That rattle can also stretch your chain. I have decided to install a completely new timing set on my truck including all four VCTs, solenoids, chains, and even a new crank gear.

A major portion of this service is done with the engine open to your surroundings. Cleanliness is a big concern when doing this service with the engine in the vehicle. Most shops will wrench on whatever you drop off as it sits. Dirt, dust, and all. I prefer to wash down my vehicle before I start, especially under the hood. You may not think a little sand is a big issue on stuff under the hood. But those little particles are often quite hard little bits that we should keep out of mechanics. After disconnecting the battery, I pop the hood, spray a little simple green, and hit it with the pressure washer on hot.

As with other motor work on this truck, you start by removing a lot of things to get at what you want to work on. Surprisingly, I never even needed to jack the truck up doing this work. The tires stayed on, but I removed the wheel well liners to get easier access to the boost tubes. Speaking of those, you will need to remove them in addition to the intake, the charge tube, the intake manifold, the fuel lines, high pressure pump, vacuum lines, AC belt, serpentine belt, Alternator, crankshaft pulley, water pump, ignition coils, drain the oil and coolant, disconnect the coolant lines, and pull the wire harness back and out of the way. I chose to cover the turbos with plastic bags to prevent any debris from falling in.

I wound up puling everything off the engine and out of the way before popping off any of the covers. If you follow the manuals to the tee, you would pop off the valve covers before pulling things off the front of the motor. Seemed like a better idea to mix both procedures together and get all the stuff out of the way prior to opening anything up. This reduces the risk of contamination entering the engine. I don’t know many people that love the stretchy belt. The serpentine was super easy to pull off. The crank pulley requires a puller to remove and an installer to put back on. No key, just a press fit. That crank bolt is torque to yield. Don’t re-use it.

IMG_3608.jpeg

With a rag laid over the intake runners, I begin to pull the engine cases off. I start with the valve covers and loosen all fasteners. Believe these were M8. Happily, these are captured bolts and you don’t need to remember where each unique one goes. There are little dabs of silicone near the front of the motor holding these on. These dabs are where the front cover meets the engine block and will require a little prying to pop them off. There are little pry points designed into the valve covers. Mine were a little tight, but I was able to coerce them off without breaking anything. It is a good idea to work your way around the valve cover to evenly pry it up. Make sure you don’t tweak the VCT actuators up front. There are a bunch of rubber seals that tend to hold on. Some penetrating oil and patience seems to work best. Inspect all seals after you pull off the valve covers. These include seals for the ignition tubes and VCT actuators. Replace anything that doesn’t look smooth. These seals press out of and into the plastic covers. Throw away the big molded seal around the periphery of the cover and replace with a new one.

The manual wants you to replace all seals on the intake manifold and under the valve covers. This is the only part I was not able to source. News flash, the intake manifold gaskets (6) underneath the valve covers seem to be on perpetual backorder. If you are lucky enough to find labor for this service near you, this part is out nationwide at the moment with no idea of when it may be restocked. My local dealer says there is a note in the system to reuse the old gasket. Fingers crossed.

After the valve covers are off, it’s time to pull the front cover. A number of M15 bolts hold it on. A few of them are good at hiding. Once removed, you will need a pry bar to break loose the RTV seal to the block. The engine oil should have been drained previously but expect a little more to come out here. Once you pull the front cover out of the engine bay, you get a real good look at this motor!!

IMG_3637.jpeg

The first thing you want to do now is to align the motor with its timing marks. Put the old crank bolt back into the crankshaft and rotate the crank clockwise to advance the engine. I used a long handle 3/8” ratchet to advance while looking for my timing marks. What you will see are bright links on the timing chain that will align with marks on the phasers themselves.

Once the engine is timed, you install “camshaft holders” (special tool) that hold your camshafts in alignment while you remove the chains. I will admit that I had to fuss a little bit to get these to slide on. I can see some stretch in my old chain and these phasers weren’t silent. Now that it is timed, it is time to remove the phasers and timing chains. Before you start pulling everything off, you need to crack those camshaft bolts loose. Whew. Mine were TIGHT. These are torque to yield bolts and wow. Make sure you have a good T55. Impact rating is required. Out with the old parts, and get ready to clean her up.

IMG_3685.jpeg

Here is where I chose to clean up all of the covers, inspect all the seals, and get them prepared to go back on.

IMG_3693.jpeg

With all the stuff removed, it is time to clean up the block and prep the surfaces. I started by wiping everything out and getting rid of any excess oil. I then scraped the engine surfaces with a scraper and large razor blade to remove residual RTV. Apparently carbide scrapers are the new thing. I still like a stiff razor blade to remove old gasket material. Prodigious amounts of brake cleaner and a scotch pad came in handy to clean these up. Once clean and bright, wipe her down with solvent to remove any residual oils.

IMG_3699.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
The new phasers are a bit more robust looking than the old ones. None the less, they slide right on to the ends of the camshafts. They are keyed and can only be installed one way. Install the bolts and torque to spec. These are torque to yield and should never be re-used. There are separate part numbers for the intake and exhaust cam phasers (VCT) and they are each marked with an “E” or an “I” to differentiate. Your intake cams are in the middle of the motor, with the outer two cams being the exhaust. Slide on the new crankshaft gear and start by lacing the chain on the driver side bank first. There are timing marks on the crankshaft gear and both camshaft gears. These will match with timing marks on the new timing chain. The bright yellow link will go in your left hand as you install it, and the other two bright links align with the other gear timing marks. You may need to rotate the crank back and forth a bit to align. Once your timing marks are aligned, install the chain guides and tensioner while maintaining your marks. Do the same to the passenger side. After you double check that both banks are on their correct timing marks, you can remove the camshaft holders and advance the engine slightly to pick up any slack in the chains. Check timing once more before closing up the engine.

42196FE5-0C45-466B-AF76-2D76671570B4.jpg

IMG_3713.jpeg

The front cover is literally glued on. You use a bead of RTV plus a few dabs here and there to seal up the front cover. A word of caution here - oil loves to find its way out of your engine. Ultimate cleanliness of sealing surfaces is the goal before any sealant should be applied. The directions say that you have four minutes to install the front cover after you lay the bead on it. My manual suggested the use of “transmission pins” to help align the front cover. They were helpful. There are also two locating pins in the block itself (shorter). There is an electrical connector at the bottom of this cover that requires a little push in and out of the seal. Then there are the menagerie of fasteners that finish off the front cover. It’s not awful. I think these RTVs cure pretty quick, but I’m in no hurry and will wait at least 24 hours before refilling the oil.

While we have the RTV handy, let’s get those valve covers back on. Although there is a nice molded rubber seal for these covers, Ford recommends a dab of RTV where the engine block meets the front cover castings. A dab in 4 places and pop those covers down. Watch your seals. These slid in place easier than I expected. The suggested torque sequence works your way from the center of the cover out to the ends to minimize warpage.

The front main seal requires a special installation tool from ford (303-1251) and should work with most installers. This is simply a chunk of steel that keeps the front main seal in alignment with the crank as it is pressed in. Install the crank pulley, belts, alternator, and reinstall wire harness. Install water pump and connect hoses. Install fuel system including high pressure fuel pump and fuel rails. Reinstall intake manifold. Boost tubes, Charge pipe, air filter. Button her up.

Almost done! Time to refill fluids. The coolant requires a vacuum purge and fill. A new filter and some oil and you should be all set.

The last step here is to relearn camshaft positions. I used Forscan to perform the “Misfire monitor neutral profile correction". You rev the engine to 3400 rpm and let off throttle. Twice. Boom. Learned.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up. I have seen a lot of Raptors have the front tires taken off and the truck lowered down for easier access, what's your reasoning for not doing that? Do you have a mini scaffold set up? Also, correct me if I'm wrong (usually am), isn't there an update to be performed after the installation of the new cam phasers, besides your relearning procedure? Again, nice write up with pictures!

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
I did leave the tires on, but I admit to pulling off the wheel well liners up front for easier access to the boost tubes.

I have a topside creeper for doing work over the engine that I find helpful. That is best to get at those intake manifold bolts in my opinion. I'm not sure I would want to lower the truck, as I did get underneath it a few times. For the work on the front I used a simple step ladder to get in there.

There is a software reflash, but my dealership had already performed that update. My understanding is that they do the software first and if the phasers still make noise they get you in for replacement.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how much actual work time start to finish...understand you split it up.

When I did my Audi, it was 8 hours of work time over 3 days.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
I spent about a week in total working on this. I might be tempted to say that this is a comparable amount of effort to what you did. I tend to spend about a half a day pulling everything off the motor to get to work, and another half day assembling everything again. I'm getting better with the boost tubes, but they take a little time for me.

The actual work doesn't really take a ton of time, but cleaning the surfaces does. I imagine that planning 2 days of total effort would be adequate.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info, but you’re scaring the sh*t out of me. I’m dropping my 2018 off at the local dealer this afternoon for phaser replacement surgery and my truck is dirty. I’m off-road once a week so I rarely bother washing my truck exterior, let alone clean the engine bay. How much of a risk is a dirty but not horribly caked-on dirty engine bay for this operation?

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not a mechanic and will never attempt this, but I thoroughly enjoyed the pics and explanation of the process. Now I somewhat can understand what you guys (mechanics) are talking about when this subject comes up.