Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may rethink my decision to Custom order a 2020. I keep reading posts about factory buy backs because of cam phasers failing so soon. Scary...

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody read up on the mazda class action law suit over the vvt system. Alot of similarities between the two.

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When did you take it in the 2nd time? You got phasers in 3 weeks? I took mine in begining of June and they told me Phasers are on back order till August!

I went ahead and ask for a buy back and waiting to hear from Ford. I haven't decided if I want to take the buy back if the approve it but after seeing this post of a second time failure of the cam phasers it makes me wonder if I should take the buy back if they do offer it?

I am thinking that most 17-18 (and 19s) have some kind of issues, why else are they for sale. Who buys such a nice truck and turn arounds and dumps them unless it has major issues they don't want to deal with!
My truck went to the dealer June 3rd. They told me they had to pull the phasers out of another dealer to get them. So chances are they aren’t an updated part and will fail again.
As for a buy back, I’m really don’t want a 19 for some reason.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck went to the dealer June 3rd. They told me they had to pull the phasers out of another dealer to get them. So chances are they aren’t an updated part and will fail again.
As for a buy back, I’m really don’t want a 19 for some reason.

Is that because they are the same bad phasers?

RaptorLF18

Reaction score
Just took my 17 in for that exact noise. Ended up being cam phasers and high volume oil pump. Took them 3 days to swap.

Tech sent my videos to Ford and we still haven’t gotten a response. It’s been in the shop since Friday the 21st.

4x4

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am the newest member to the Cam Phaser replacement needed club. Started about 30k miles snd was told that they could not replicate at 41k finally had enough took it back because it will reliably do it after sitting for an hour. It will even do it when start and stop is enabled on the rare occasion. Told parts will not be available until end of july, early August. Was balking on taking it home and they assured me it's ok to drive and now that its documented if the engine grenades I'm covered.

Oh and I need a new sunroof track. Wonder if there is a club for that yet?

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
I am the newest member to the Cam Phaser replacement needed club. Started about 30k miles snd was told that they could not replicate at 41k finally had enough took it back because it will reliably do it after sitting for an hour. It will even do it when start and stop is enabled on the rare occasion. Told parts will not be available until end of july, early August. Was balking on taking it home and they assured me it's ok to drive and now that its documented if the engine grenades I'm covered.

Oh and I need a new sunroof track. Wonder if there is a club for that yet?

What year is yours?

4x4

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a 2017. Will go check build date.

Also learned that anyone in Maryland wants to avoid Norris Ford like it's your crazy Ex that doesn't accept you broke up with them. Worst service experience in my entire adult life and I'm in my 40's. Wonder if I can get the repair moved to a different dealership once my parts come in.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ted Britt in chantilly VA treats me well. And they will give you a loaner. My wife's 2018 Lariat is there now for phasers (waiting on parts). PM me and I can give you my service manager's contact info.

It is a 2017. Will go check build date.

Also learned that anyone in Maryland wants to avoid Norris Ford like it's your crazy Ex that doesn't accept you broke up with them. Worst service experience in my entire adult life and I'm in my 40's. Wonder if I can get the repair moved to a different dealership once my parts come in.

Last edited: