Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Bhollier, May 19, 2019.

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

1. Yes

22.7%
  2. No

73.7%
  3. I don't have a Raptor but will still vote and comment

3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RaptorLF18

RaptorLF18 Member

Thank you. The sound I captured is very similar to what I have heard online. I really have been happy with the truck, just hoping to get it fixed. The service writer and tech have been really good to me and I think they are just trying to figure it out.

FullAuto likes this.
  2. RaptorLF18

RaptorLF18 Member

I've been notified that the service technician sent my videos to Ford Hotline and told them that it's the same sound he heard on start up.

3. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 Full Access Member

My guess is that 99.99999999999% are owners freaking out over a 1/4 second startup rattle. I have it sometimes but no symptoms otherwise. No shits are given here. Truck runs like a beast. How many people on this thread had it so that their truck would not run due to the cam phasers? None?

Darkhorse99 likes this.
  4. RaptorLF18

RaptorLF18 Member

It's been gradual. Started for a split second, now it's three. Sounds like no oil and I wouldn't imagine it's good for my motor. At 23k miles, I'd like it recorded that there is a problem or get it fixed. I plan on keeping it a while. No failure yet, just a sickening sound at start up.

5. FullAuto

FullAuto FRF Addict

Until you realize it's a 4k repair once it gets bad and you are out of warranty.

Raptor911 and NORCAL SS like this.
  6. Raptor911

Raptor911 FRF Addict

Agreed. It’s all fun and games when someone else is paying for it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    FullAuto and NORCAL SS like this.
  7. WraptorBoy

WraptorBoy Member

You said it happened twice. How many miles did you get to when you noticed the issue again?

8. RaptorLF18

RaptorLF18 Member

It has been happening about every third or fourth start since 11K. More pronounced after the truck sat a few days because I was driving my car.

9. WraptorBoy

WraptorBoy Member

Ooops. My bad. I replied to you but I meant to reply to Norcal SS (He was the one to whom it happened twice and Ford bought it back...) sorry for the confusion... Yours is still waiting on diagnosis. Trying to keep all these strait lol

10. WraptorBoy

WraptorBoy Member

NORCAL SS,

So the first time you noticed the noise etc around 11K miles. Took it in. Got it fixed.

"First time" implies you heard the noises again and took it in again before they bought it back. But usually it's 3 times etc for any lemon law to take affect.

Can you elaborate a bit on what happened after the first fix?

You got it fixed at 11Kish. Then it must have failed again? At how many miles? And when did you decide you've had enough?

Just trying to get a picture of the progression from the first failure to your buy back... Thanks (in advance) for the details! This willl greatly help me and others who may get in this boat...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019