Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtslinger

Reaction score
Haven't got my truck in yet, but my buddy who was a long time ford mechanic told me which Service writer to talk to. I called him and told him what it was doing, he called me back the next day and said "yup, the mechanic said it's definitely Cam Phasers" He told me to call him back when I'm ready to drop the truck off and they will get it fixed up. Fingers crossed it goes as smoothly as it did over the phone so far.

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are the build dates to avoid? Im still waiting on Ford to get back with me on buy back and thinking looking at 18s but don't want to run into this again.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are the build dates to avoid? Im still waiting on Ford to get back with me on buy back and thinking looking at 18s but don't want to run into this again.

Mine is a January 2019 build and had the failure. Twice. My truck was bought back.
I think all are suspect at this point.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to be under the impression it was more common with the late 17 early 18 builds but that does not seem to be the case anymore

RaptorLF18

Reaction score
Any word from the dealer?
The technician believed it to be a gasket leak near the turbo. They sealed my exhaust and smoked it and there was a leak. Replacing the gaskets and I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow. I hope that this is it. Would be much better than what sounded like an oil starved motor..

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
The technician believed it to be a gasket leak near the turbo. They sealed my exhaust and smoked it and there was a leak. Replacing the gaskets and I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow. I hope that this is it. Would be much better than what sounded like an oil starved motor..

Good news (in that it's not an engine issue)... keep us informed!!

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got word Cam Phasers parts are now off back order and should be getting to my local dealer this week and will have my truck back some time next week. Pretty excited but still mad on how long this has taken.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local dealer here in the San Antonio area has also told me there's a wait on parts. I've not had my truck in yet, but i know i have the issue and getting worse. Jan 2018 build, 25k miles....