Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With about 75% no’s. We are hearing much more from the smaller percent with issues. Would really like to know how many miles the folks have on their trucks with no issues.
I am just under 4K miles and no issues but I am worrying about this every time I start the thing up.

I had a failure at 19k and again at 30k. About a month at the dealer each time mainly due to parts availability issues. Sure wish I was part of the 75% without failures.

RaptorLF18

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the tech translated that sound to being a turbo issue but if you trust your dealer, then you will need to keep pursuing the issue with them, as you are. Eventually they will open the case on your behalf if they agree it's the dreaded issue (I believe; people with experience with this please chime in).

First, make sure you can repro the sound and document how to do it. Then, do it for the dealer. In the beginning, the sound reveals itself once during the day at cold startup so you will need to be prepared...

If the dealer you are working with says they can't repro the issue, I'd go somewhere else.

I would say Ford is at strike one since the first attempt didn't fix it.

They know the sound and aren't questioning it. It happens every morning. I get home around 5 and start it up at 4:30 M-F.

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an early build '18, 38k. Cam phasers replaced last fall. It's time again, making exactly the same noise. I'd trade it in for a '19 if I knew it wouldn't happen again...

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is beginning to rattle and it shudders when at idle occasionally. How long can you drive the truck in this condition? heading out on a run next weekend...

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got my truck back Friday (Sunday today) and no rattle at start up but notice once the truck runs for 5-10 seconds it starts tapping and you can hear it from under the wheel wells on both sides and it last for 5-10 seconds and goes away. Truck is running fine (minus the transmission still shifting like shit) but going to take video of this and bring it back again........for the 3rd time.

Any ideas of what this could be? Its not the Cam Phaser and seems to coming near the turbos?

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
So got my truck back Friday (Sunday today) and no rattle at start up but notice once the truck runs for 5-10 seconds it starts tapping and you can hear it from under the wheel wells on both sides and it last for 5-10 seconds and goes away. Truck is running fine (minus the transmission still shifting like shit) but going to take video of this and bring it back again........for the 3rd time.

Any ideas of what this could be? Its not the Cam Phaser and seems to coming near the turbos?

Man that sucks. Did you bring it back in yet? Year and how many miles? Let us know what they find...

Last edited:

NoMoreBMW

Reaction score
What a buzzkill thread. Have driven BMW's for over 10 years and decided it's time to drive something that is really badass. So I bought a 2019. Now I feel like a cat in a room of rocking chairs every time I start the beast after reading this thread.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
What a buzzkill thread. Have driven BMW's for over 10 years and decided it's time to drive something that is really badass. So I bought a 2019. Now I feel like a cat in a room of rocking chairs every time I start the beast after reading this thread.

Funny. I felt that way after I bought my first and last BMW. Got a 2000 M Coupe, brand new. $40K back in 2000. Beautiful car. But, had the following issues: after filling up the fuel tank, the fuel needle would bounce from empty to full for the first 50 miles (known issue for 3+ model years). The only fix was to cut into the rear firewall behind the seat and replace the sender, which may not have fixed it. You're going to cut a permanent hole in my new 40K car? NOT! Rolled passenger window down one day and when I rolled it back up, black goo was smeared across the window. Rough idle and hesitation at start up until the engine warmed up. Known issue for 3+ model years. A computer FI adjustment mostly solved it. One day I closed the rear hatch, which broke the internal latch. Known issue for 3+ model years. The final straw was when the passenger door wouldn't open from the inside or outside.

I hit the forums and, like you, uncovered a case of cans of worms. The part that was disgusting was that BMW knew of all these issues and didn't bother to fix them for 3 years. Of course the BMW groupies on the BMW forums justified all of it with "it's a specialty car". No thanks.

Anyway, as mentioned before, forums are mostly inundated with problems people have of whom are looking for resolutions. So don't sweat it. But, you are now aware of a potential issue which gives you power if you need to talk to a tech at a dealer.

How many miles you got so far and let us know if you develop the issue (which I really hope you do not).