Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorLF18

Reaction score
If they are correct, I'll be very happy. I will.
Got it back on Thursday after they changed the gaskets. Sound was back on Friday. I’ll be talking to the dealer tomorrow. If I’m honest, I am pretty disappointed.

When I hear the sound, it’s like there is no oil. Is this a problem with anything but the chain guides? Or, is there more to it?

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
Got it back on Thursday after they changed the gaskets. Sound was back on Friday. I’ll be talking to the dealer tomorrow. If I’m honest, I am pretty disappointed.

When I hear the sound, it’s like there is no oil. Is this a problem with anything but the chain guides? Or, is there more to it?

Your sound (from the video on page... 7?) is definitely the "cam phaser" issue. The fact that your dealer thought that sound was a turbo makes me want to tell you to go to another dealer.

You should open a case with Ford.

tooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had the issue yet. Hopefully like smurfslayer say's, it's not widespread.

RaptorLF18

Reaction score
Your sound (from the video on page... 7?) is definitely the "cam phaser" issue. The fact that your dealer thought that sound was a turbo makes me want to tell you to go to another dealer.

You should open a case with Ford.

Who do I contact to open a case?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Up to 35k+ miles on my 2018 and still runs like a striped-ass ape. I suppose I have one of those "special" 3.5 TT ecoboost Fords that doesn't suffer from the "usual" plastic pan oil leaks, ****** cam phaser rattles, etc., etc. Still runs mid 13s @ 100mph plus a 140mph top speed... and gets 16mpg average since new.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
Who do I contact to open a case?

I'm not sure how the tech translated that sound to being a turbo issue but if you trust your dealer, then you will need to keep pursuing the issue with them, as you are. Eventually they will open the case on your behalf if they agree it's the dreaded issue (I believe; people with experience with this please chime in).

First, make sure you can repro the sound and document how to do it. Then, do it for the dealer. In the beginning, the sound reveals itself once during the day at cold startup so you will need to be prepared...

If the dealer you are working with says they can't repro the issue, I'd go somewhere else.

I would say Ford is at strike one since the first attempt didn't fix it.

WAC

Reaction score
With about 75% no’s. We are hearing much more from the smaller percent with issues. Would really like to know how many miles the folks have on their trucks with no issues.
I am just under 4K miles and no issues but I am worrying about this every time I start the thing up.