5.4L vs 6.2L Gen1 Pros/Cons + Pricing in 2021

Looking to purchase Gen 1 Raptor as an only-car, daily driver:

• Don't do it. The Raptor is not a good daily driver.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackenedSVT

Reaction score
New member here...
Looking to purchase a Gen 1 Raptor, as a daily driver. Currently have a
Dodge Challenger and looking to get back into not only owning an SVT
again, but also a truck. This checks both boxes. I only drive 15-20miles
(total) a day, to and from work usually.

Seeing a lot of 100k-200k mileage (6.2L) ones for around $30+k still
unfortunately, with the cheaper $20-25k range Raptors with 100k-200k
miles seem to be the 5.4L. My price cap is $30k.

Question 1:
I was able to find a 2011 6.2L for $34,000 at a dealer with only 50k miles,
(1 owner) but thinking that is still a bit of a rip off pricing because the truck
is 10 years old, likely out of all warranties and dealer's don't exactly come
down on their pricing much...For those of you that have bought these, what
do you think of that pricing?

Question 2:
Obviously the 5.4Ls are cheaper (I'd imagine) because of image and ego,
and it not being the original 6.2L....but do any of you own the 5.4Ls? What
is the gas mileage and performance like? Would it be a better Daily Driver?
Or does the maintenance and gas mileage the same for both engine types?

I'll also throw a poll at the top. Thanks in advance.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A friend of mine had one of the 5.4s. He dumped it pretty quickly because he thought it was a bit under powered. But then he never keeps anything longer than about a year, so it might just have been the excuse of the day.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the 6.2, very reliable motor, more reliable than the 5.4. With 30k spending, you can get a nice one for sure. Check out the for sale section here, there's a few nice ones! If you buy from a dealer, just get it inspected and also look under it for damage from any offroading and you should be fine. Yeah its 10 years old, so what, Mine is 11 y/o and at 150k, well maintained and will last another 10 years without any doubt.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I had to pick one- the 5.4L 3V is what I'd consider Ford's least reliable / most problematic V8 since 1987.

You don't need a warranty with a 6.2L. Change the oil every 5K with synthetic and a FL820s and it'll go 500K miles.

Silver2Raptor

Reaction score
You can hack gas mileage buy pushing the reset button going down hill was able to get 22 mpg going 40 - 65 on a 5.4 with moon roof up and back window slightly open First gen baby I’m your big brother no matter what year

Silver2Raptor

Reaction score
Oh yeah the commute was a 45 minute drive so no regrets on any engine type but get to know your Raptor ,22 was my best hack no light stops , with stops around 16.5 but hey , I’ve never been stuck in any situation I couldn’t get out of like all Raptor owners I guess and yeah I bought the wifey a Prius , ha ha she still loves me more gas please

Silver2Raptor

Reaction score
I like to think of it like this when you wear and tear the 5.4 you’ll be able to fit any year engine you like after that right , it sure has the room . Just a collector item before long

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw that one, and while my other cars and trucks were always black, i'm actually looking for an Orange Extended Cab, not the SuperCrew cab. :)
They are a little hard to get, I've seen them come up for sale before, but people know they are sought after. Your best bet is to wrap a black one Orange or go out of the box and wrap any color! Would save you money.