5.4L vs 6.2L Gen1 Pros/Cons + Pricing in 2021

Looking to purchase Gen 1 Raptor as an only-car, daily driver:

• Don't do it. The Raptor is not a good daily driver.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no pro's to a 5.4. That price for the 6.2 with 50k miles @ $34k is good assuming everything else is in great shape. You said it was a one owner truck too, so I'm guessing it's in great condition. I would jump on that one. Once you start looking at Gen1s with over 75k miles, you need to factor in the price for new or rebuilt shocks along with a number of other needed maintenance services.

Trooper

Reaction score
The 5.4 sucks. I had it in my '04. Underpowered, cam phaser and exhaust manifold issues, spark plugs were a bitch to change assuming they didn't seize.

For your price reference...I picked up a '13 supercrew last May with 66k miles for $36,500.

dmpizzi

Reaction score
I had both. Nothing wrong with the 5.4. They had many of the recent updates done to them by 2010. You really can't tell there is a 100hp difference betweem them. I'd suggest a tune. I also averaged 17-18 mpg with 5.4. I average 12-13mpg with the 6.2. Personally I'd go for a 6.2, but if im saving 5-10k i wouldnt mind a 5.4 again. Id test drive it and get the engine warm amd make sure cam phasers are fine. Also Molten orange is the best color I miss that color lol

Reaction score
Get the 6.2, very reliable motor, more reliable than the 5.4. With 30k spending, you can get a nice one for sure. Check out the for sale section here, there's a few nice ones! If you buy from a dealer, just get it inspected and also look under it for damage from any offroading and you should be fine. Yeah its 10 years old, so what, Mine is 11 y/o and at 150k, well maintained and will last another 10 years without any doubt.

Reaction score
I the got my 2011 svt 6.2L with 99500 miles for $25 k . Last of the big dogs before the clean air registration came it affect. This truck is a beast like driving a race car. The sound of the big motor, is in the same class of the old muscle cars. What I like is sounds and actions of it down shifting.

IMG_20190924_155635.jpg

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no pro's to a 5.4. That price for the 6.2 with 50k miles @ $34k is good assuming everything else is in great shape. You said it was a one owner truck too, so I'm guessing it's in great condition. I would jump on that one. Once you start looking at Gen1s with over 75k miles, you need to factor in the price for new or rebuilt shocks along with a number of other needed maintenance services.

@BlackenedSVT what @Big Blue said above. That’s really a good price. I would almost be concerned as it sounds low for that amount of mileage.

There is a long but distinguished check list to go down when getting one of these babies. Do your homework, get the 6.2L, and you won’t be disappointed!

FWIW I got a 2014 with 93k on it for $35k OTD a year and a half ago.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Gen 1 Raptors, but I will throw out some unsolicited advice about finding rare vehicles: You have to search nationwide. Just do it. And when you find one that meets all the criteria, vet it as best you can, do a video call walk-around and test drive, and then fly one way to do the deal and drive it home. What is $500 in travel cost to get the right $30k vehicle?

And as painful as it is, if everything doesn't line up when you get there, fly back home. I did this once. Added another $400 to my vehicle search, but we're not looking for Camry's here; we are enthusiasts.

OP
OP
BlackenedSVT

BlackenedSVT

Reaction score
I don't know much about Gen 1 Raptors, but I will throw out some unsolicited advice about finding rare vehicles: You have to search nationwide. Just do it. And when you find one that meets all the criteria, vet it as best you can, do a video call walk-around and test drive, and then fly one way to do the deal and drive it home. What is $500 in travel cost to get the right $30k vehicle?

And as painful as it is, if everything doesn't line up when you get there, fly back home. I did this once. Added another $400 to my vehicle search, but we're not looking for Camry's here; we are enthusiasts.

This is exactly what I did when I bought my 07' Shelby GT500 that was in Ohio when I was living in NJ.
Just went to see this '11 Raptor with 53k miles. It's very clean and exactly what I'm looking for but at
their price point and only offering 60/mo financing, the payments are too high for my budget. Going to
have to let this walk.

OP
OP
BlackenedSVT

BlackenedSVT

Reaction score