Should I buy a 2012 Raptor 6.2L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

picklearmy

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new driver looking to buy a truck because they are much more practical for me over cars, and while looking through marketplace I found a 1st gen 2012 Raptor for $17,500 CAD (roughly $13,000 USD.) To me, since I'm not entirely sure what to look for, it seems like a decent truck for a decent price. Any 2wd, 4 door 2012+ trucks near me are selling for roughly the same price. The only thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is the mileage, its sitting at 355,000kms (roughly 217,500 miles.) The body of the truck looks like its in mint condition, but the interior could use some work and the frame is a bit rusted but from what I can tell on the pictures its not that huge of a deal. It seems to me like it was a work truck. Another problem is that I live about 3.5 hours away from where it is, so if I drove there and found out there's something wrong with it, I just wasted 7 hours.

Money is also a little tight for me at the moment so I'd probably end up putting myself in a little bit of a hole but nothing too desperate, the person who owns it offered me to pay a downpayment and pay over time instead but I'm not entirely sure if thats trustworthy? An insurance quote estimated it would be around $400.17 a month (somewhat new driver and Canadian insurance is a robbery.) So what I'm thinking is, if the person who owns it can get it safetied there, and if it passes, I buy the truck and pay over time. It honestly seems like a good deal to me but I'm just a little suspicious that something may be wrong with it considering the price and the mileage. I sent the pictures to two friends of mine who are mechanics and said it looks good, the rust can likely be worked on and they're only concerned about the mileage.

What do you guys think? I do like working on vehicles with a group of my friends so it could be a fun project, or possibly a complete waste of time and money! The link at the bottom is to the pictures of the truck if anyone wants to take a look and help me out. Cheers everyone.

2012 Blue Raptor - ImgBB

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think with your statement "end up putting myself in a little bit of a hole" says it all. Get a truck that makes sense, not a gas guzzling V8 that gets 12mpg.

You are running yourself dry for beat up Raptor with rust issues. For what? It's not worth it.

Get a Tacoma or something that fits your lifestyle and needs.

OP
OP
P

picklearmy

Reaction score
I think with your statement "end up putting myself in a little bit of a hole" says it all. Get a truck that makes sense, not a gas guzzling V8 that gets 12mpg.

You are running yourself dry for beat up Raptor with rust issues. For what? It's not worth it.

Get a Tacoma or something that fits your lifestyle and needs.
tacomas are roughly the same price around here, even with 200-300k kms, unless they're super old like 2008. but yeah they'd be way cheaper on gas thats for sure

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get your feet under you financially then afford better toys later, IMO. Start out with something you can float debt free and with lower operating costs.

No way in hell I'd trust some random stranger to take payments. Something is benefitting him, most likely the thought you'll miss one and he'll take it back. Or he just takes it back because he held the title while you made payments. Does he want them in cash only, gift cards, etc? No papertrail?