Should I be worried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rahptor

Reaction score
The rust on the exhaust is superficial. The frame itself, based on what we can see, looks great for a 10+ year old truck. What are your other areas of concern?
Another area of concern for me is the lead frame issue that i hear is common.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A Gen 1 in excellent condition can be worth $36K as the MSRP was north of $60k on a fully loaded 2014 with factory bedliner. All stock Raptors rode really well from the factory reguardless of what generation they are, they were designed that way, well manered on road and off road capable.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Price and 3 owners is definitely what is having me think twice. I intend to keep the truck forever so resell value isn't a factor for me. I guess a better question now would be, is a gen 1 raptor a good daily driver?
Im daily-ing mine.

Things to consider.
Oil changes every 5k MAX
Gas is expensive and it likes A LOT of it
Handles potholes incredibly well
Rotate tires often
Parking garages/spots generally are too small

@WNCHSTR96 drives his more though, he can offer words o wisdom

PTYHRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, I have a 14 SE (ruby). Almost 88k miles. Roush supercharged package. JDM tuned, no rust, most maintenance done. Will need coolant flush, plugs by 100k and shocks at some point. I may do the coolant and plugs tho.

Anyways, I’m the second owner. No funny biz. I want a gen3. I’d ask less than 36….lmk if interested.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for a daily driver since @CleverGirl_ threw me under the bus, the newer generation Raptors do drive better than a Gen 1. However I love driving mine so to each his their own. If you are set on Apple car play a Gen 2 is the easy button, there are ways for 2013-14’s to get it from what I have seen on this forum so don’t let my opinion sway you. I suggest you drive both Gens or all 3 if you can and then make an informed decision. I’m pretty confident once you drive one you will know which one you want. We can speculate about what’s more reliable and or dependable till the internet dies, but in my experience the simpler the machine the easier it is to take care of. (And yes I did have to do my lead frame at about 271k miles, but I have never had to do a CAM phaser, so there is that)

OP
OP
R

Rahptor

Reaction score
As for a daily driver since @CleverGirl_ threw me under the bus, the newer generation Raptors do drive better than a Gen 1. However I love driving mine so to each his their own. If you are set on Apple car play a Gen 2 is the easy button, there are ways for 2013-14’s to get it from what I have seen on this forum so don’t let my opinion sway you. I suggest you drive both Gens or all 3 if you can and then make an informed decision. I’m pretty confident once you drive one you will know which one you want. We can speculate about what’s more reliable and or dependable till the internet dies, but in my experience the simpler the machine the easier it is to take care of. (And yes I did have to do my lead frame at about 271k miles, but I have never had to do a CAM phaser, so there is that)
The simplicity of the gen 1 with its v8 is what intrigued me in the first place on top of the sound lol. And woah that gives me a sense of relief knowing it could be a while before I have to worry about the lead frame, that is if I'm not unlucky. I will test drive a gen 2 today so I'll have a much better idea of what I like better. Just curious though, with all those miles on your gen 1, what are some issues you've had? And how much was it to fix the lead frame? Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
R

Rahptor

Reaction score
Im daily-ing mine.

Things to consider.
Oil changes every 5k MAX
Gas is expensive and it likes A LOT of it
Handles potholes incredibly well
Rotate tires often
Parking garages/spots generally are too small

@WNCHSTR96 drives his more though, he can offer words o wisdom
The whole difficultly to park thing is something that I can see getting annoying but not a deal breaker. Other than that, I don't mind the rest. Smiles per gallon right?

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The simplicity of the gen 1 with its v8 is what intrigued me in the first place on top of the sound lol. And woah that gives me a sense of relief knowing it could be a while before I have to worry about the lead frame, that is if I'm not unlucky. I will test drive a gen 2 today so I'll have a much better idea of what I like better. Just curious though, with all those miles on your gen 1, what are some issues you've had? And how much was it to fix the lead frame? Thanks for your input.
Let me think. My lead frame replacement was $1101 out the door. As for what has happened over the last 282k miles that wasn’t routine maintenance like oil, brakes, tires, and shocks. I had some warranty work done on the B pillar trim that came undone shortly after purchase. My first transmission oil change did not go well and had to get the valve body repaired under warranty at 55k. I have had to replace my 3rd brake light because moisture corroded the LEDs. Then the park indicator switch went out which during that I had replaced a 5 year old dead battery only to discover it was the indicator switch. FYI the replacement battery lasted just shy of 5 years. My defrost blend door actuator went out. I had to replace those crappy OEM lug nuts. I mentioned my lead frame. I’m trying to think but I think that’s all that comes to mind. I do have a spreadsheet with everything I have done to it as far as services, maintenance, and repairs. I will look it over tomorrow and see if I missed anything. Keep in mind my truck is showing its age, I will eventually need to rebuild the power steering rack as it will growl at me sometimes, and I should replace the hood graphic as it’s got those hairline cracks. Oh I need to get new headlights as mine look horrible, but for now it’s on the list and not a need to fix right now kind of thing. 12 years later and it still brings a smile to my face when I start it up. Plan on driving until it breaks then fixing it to drive it more, I will keep it until I can’t physically drive it. (Or it gets banned from use, LOL) There are some Gen 1’s here with 300 and 400k miles so it’s pretty reliable. Now those forced induction guys don’t have such a stellar track record. (And yes that includes Gen 1’s with FI) Good luck with whatever you decide.