5.4L vs 6.2L Gen1 Pros/Cons + Pricing in 2021

Looking to purchase Gen 1 Raptor as an only-car, daily driver:

• Don't do it. The Raptor is not a good daily driver.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parallax_ca

Reaction score
You mention a checklist... is that on the site somewhere? looking at a 5.4 raptor that also uses propane!

@BlackenedSVT what @Big Blue said above. That’s really a good price. I would almost be concerned as it sounds low for that amount of mileage.

There is a long but distinguished check list to go down when getting one of these babies. Do your homework, get the 6.2L, and you won’t be disappointed!

FWIW I got a 2014 with 93k on it for $35k OTD a year and a half ago.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was asked so I figured I’d post it here. Just what I’ve learned along the way…

Absolutes are (in my opinion):

Don’t get a 5.4L - 6.2L all day!
Aim for a 2013/2014
Aim for stock - mods are cool but could imply things went wrong and got changed.
See it in person
Know history; how many owners/locations - rust belt?
Drive it
Make sure 4 High/Low work

Crawl underneath and check for rusting rockers and cab corners ($5k fix last quote)- try to get one without a sunroof; the drains aren’t routed out of the cab and dump into the cab corners, causing it to rust from the inside out.

Check gaps from cab to bed - 13/14’s have reinforced frames, 10-12’s have been known to have bent frames from jumps.

Try to get shock history; how many miles on it/have they been rebuilt ever? They are rated for 50k mi on road (has it been off-roaded a lot? Only rated for 10k mi if so) - usually around $1k for a rebuild and if you don’t have spares to swap on you’re out a truck for a month or more.

Tires - it’s probably around $1500 now for new meat; a win if it has fresh/newish ones.

Brakes - again, mileage; how much, have they been replaced recently? Probably near $1k for quality replacements when all said and done.

Fluids - have they done a refresh on all? Again - mileage matters.

Plugs - again, mileage; have the plugs and wires been changed? Have the coil packs?

@FordTechOne is a bastion of information. Look up his posts and reply’s for a wealth of knowledge.