New Raptor purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel76

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning Guys and Gals,
I am looking at a Raptor purchase and have been trying to do my homework. I recently discovered a SuperCrew won't fit in my garage, so SuperCab it is, which is OK since I've tended to gravitate towards that appearance and style anyway.

There are two Raptors local to me that I'd like an opinion on. For starters, I'm not a features kinda guy...I don't need or want a lot of extra 'luxury' items and electronic gadgetry. I'd like more basic if I can find it. This will be used for basic truck duties and not off-roading. I really like the white and silver options. Both of these are at dealerships (local truck seller & carmax).

I've been watching a lot of you-boob vids and reading as much as I can about the Gen 1 trucks. I'm not stuck on a Gen 1, since I like the Gen 2 well enough. It's just that turbos, and their maintenance are not my thing, and the camphaser issue also concerns me.

Don't care about gas mileage. Overall condition and mileage below 100k has been my two biggest targets. I know to look for certain things (undercarriage, body condition, overall maintenance) and I know that Gen one has several things specifically to ask about. I also know that at about 100k, there are a number of things that will generally have to be taken care of (shocks possibly, fluids, spark plugs, etc).

I like both trucks well enough. The white one has painted fender flares which I have not seen before. Both truck have been in Texas the balance of their lives. Any thoughts concerns will be appreciated. Thanks for indulging my noob post.

White one ($35k, 92k miles):

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 20
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 20
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
D

Daniel76

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silver truck ($36k, 84k miles):

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 19
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 19
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 19

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Drive them both. See if you can get a hold of maintenance records. Look for rust. Use the search function on here to look at other threads.

The topic of which truck should I buy comes up a lot every few days.

OP
OP
D

Daniel76

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read a lot of those threads. And other threads dealing with the pros/cons of certain years. I have been trying my damndest to ingest as much as I can, but there just comes a point when I'd like an opinion. There is no solid, singular 'reading list' unfortunately, so you're kinda left with reading until your eyes roll back into your head and then making a decision.

For example, I spent nearly an hour yesterday just reading about ford lug nuts and their shortcomings.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
We're you able to get maintenance records for either truck? Did you drive both? Which felt better per the buττ dyno? Do you like one color over the other?

Lug nuts are not a major problem unless they are loose. Look for rust in cab corners, bubbling paint. Rusty undercarriage (giggity).