2nd Gen Raptor Resale Value after TRX Release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What @GCATX said.

But I do love when guys like you act holier than thou and tell others that their “doing it wrong” when it comes to their finances. Yes, vehicles are depreciating assets, but your going to spend money on a vehicle each year regardless of whether you bought it for $5k or $50k. So there is nothing wrong with capitalizing on the fact that Raptors hold their value.

Most Gen 2 Raptor owners (across all model years) have had zero to very little depreciation over the past year of ownership. Tell me what other mass produced vehicle does such. Again, that’s not why I bought my Raptor (this is my fourth one), but it does allow me to minimize my depreciation as I move into a new one. And yes, it does help me sleep at night :)

agreed- and is a big reason why i felt “comfortable” just paying the damn thing off in entirety about 14 months in.

the $5-$600 a month I save in not having truck payment will go into my brokerage portfolio/kids 529s/cash savings for the next 3 years or so & if I start getting the itch for a new vehicle by then I’ll have a rolling *** of $$$ in the form of the Raptor to help offset the next ride in a big way.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you seriously have resale value at the top of your list when you bought the truck, you're doing it wrong.

...that’s not why I bought my Raptor...
Thx for proving my point :) And I would bet most folks here didn't buy their raptor because of resale value either. Is it a consideration? Maybe to some, maybe not to others.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In order for the TRX to effect Raptor resell value, it has to be a viable alternative option to someone who might otherwise be looking to buy your Raptor. So it has to be of similar or better quality, price, and availability. It seems unlikely that the TRX is really going to be a competitor to used Raptors, not for several years anyway. It might effect sales of new Raptors, but perhaps not even much in that regard if the quality isn't deemed good or if it's priced well above Raptors.

Honestly, I would think the new Bronco could effect Raptor resell more than TRX. If you have $50k to spend, do you go for a used Raptor or a new Bronco? Obviously, some will want a truck, but many just want an off road capable cool looking vehicle. Jeep values, I think, will go down with the Bronco the most though. In the tag team battle between Raptor/Bronco and Jeep/TRX, I think Ford wins. Although if TRX sales on the order of magnitude that the Raptor currently does, that could change.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The day of reckoning has come for the Gen II. I'm glad I sold mine a year ago back when values were stronger. Looking forward to see how Ford responds. If it's some hybrid V6 electric ***** stuff, Ram will revel in that. Someone who would choose something like that over a 6.2 supercharged engine would be the very definition of a fanboy.

Ummm ... wtf are you talking about? You might want to sit the next few plays out chief.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it could affect Raptor values. I wouldn't even consider switching to Ram, but the TRX is going to drop with a lot more performance than the Gen 2 Raptor. If they price it aggressively it's going to be more appealing to anyone not loyal to the Raptor, who just wants the hottest truck at a good price. If that happens it will pull down Raptor values a bit as many people will opt for a used TRX when they start to show up. I'm a Raptor guy but I'll be surprised if the TRX doesn't beat the Gen 2 Raptor hands down. It's all about what Ford does with the Gen 3.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do believe the Raptor depreciates less than any other F150 but it still depreciates, at best with 100 thousand miles it is worth 30 grand. It takes a big dip once it hits the 100 thousand mile plus mark. Then it levels off but tons of Gen 1s out there with 140 plus thousand miles for 15 grand at retail. These 70k trucks will depreciate to nothing, but like was said above they are a tool used in most guys or gals work.

“Tons” of Gen 1’s with 140k miles for $15k? You’re pulling numbers out of thin air, the cheapest Gen 1 on Autotrader right now is $18k with 243,000 miles on it.

If you pay cash for it then let it sit, this would not be bad. If you use it for work or as a work truck and can depreciate it to nothing or get enough allowance say 1200-2200 a month then you can justify it. Ford's of almost any kind do not hold their values well. Anyone that has purchased multiple ones of them know this to be a fact.

Having purchased many Ford vehicles I can tell you that you’re incorrect; the data also doesn’t agree with your “fact”. F-Series in general hold they value very well, and Raptor holds one of the highest residual values in the industry, right behind Wrangler, which is #1.

Last edited:

Attackpilot

Reaction score
I bought my 18 Raptor 2 years ago. Fully loaded. The only thing I didn’t upgrade was carbon fiber. It will be paid off next year but I have had the thought of either keeping it or selling and getting the TRX or TrackHawk. I do love this truck. I don’t know that I have ever bought a vehicle thinking about resale on it though.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
“Tons” of Gen 1’s with 140k miles for $15k? You’re pulling numbers out of thin air, the cheapest Gen 1 on Autotrader right now is $18k with 243,000 miles on it.

Having purchased many Ford vehicles I can tell you that you’re incorrect; the data also doesn’t agree with your “fact”. F-Series in general hold they value very well, and Raptor holds one of the highest residual values in the industry, right behind Wrangler, which is #1.

Trade in 15, retail on lot 18-20 if they do not send them to auction. That could be incorrect for you and that is great. I have found after owning lots of vehicles from various brands there tends to be more long term value placed on Japanese brands.

I am not naturally bashing Ford as I am a Raptor owner. I have owned 2 Raptors and a FX4 model and they for some reason all tend to have lower resell values. Could be my market or I do not know could be you have more experience and better luck with them, but from my experience they depreciate a lot more than say a Toyota or Honda.