GEN 2 WHICH FMIC to buy?!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRMFAM

Reaction score
If you don't need to relocate your intercooler don't. The stock location intercooler provides the best airflow potential. I've tuned with just about every intercooler on the market and I must say my 2 favorite are the Wagner tuning intercooler and ams performance intercooler.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Both those options have significant cost savings over many of the other brands. The AMS on Apollo’s site looks to be the easiest to install based of product pages. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do the stock location units like AMS and Wagner perform relative to the front mounts and relative to stock? Would the stock location ones like Wagner give the same "stage2" gains with a tune like a Goosetune or not fully as good as with a FMIC?

I've shied away from doing an upgrade as it seemed a little overwhelming and didn't want to mess with relocating the camera with the FMIC. Saw someone's post about the Wagner and liked that they were able to retain the shroud to get more air channelled into it.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah ... I bought a used add pro frame cut bumper and I love my s8 in the grill...

Unfortunately, with frame cut, you're forced to go with an FMIC in the main grille area and there are no options that will work with your S8 kit. If you're looking for other high mounted light options, I'd look into selling your S8 kit to someone on the forums and look into adding a pair of XL80 lights on hood mounts.

Do you have a quick rundown of the pros/cons associated with them? I've been looking at the CVF for a while but never pulled the trigger on it ...

CVF is the cheapest and is confirmed to fit with most aftermarket bumpers. aFe Power, it works, not very popular, not a lot of data behind it. AMS, easy install and a very quality part. Wagner, a little more complicated but also very high quality and it's the largest intercooler on the market for the stock location.

How do the stock location units like AMS and Wagner perform relative to the front mounts and relative to stock? Would the stock location ones like Wagner give the same "stage2" gains with a tune like a Goosetune or not fully as good as with a FMIC?

I've shied away from doing an upgrade as it seemed a little overwhelming and didn't want to mess with relocating the camera with the FMIC. Saw someone's post about the Wagner and liked that they were able to retain the shroud to get more air channelled into it.

The FMIC behind the main grille get the most airflow, are larger, and flow better. That being said, ANY intercooler upgrade is significantly better than stock. Personally, I'd go with Wagner or AMS for the intercooler and then run a Stage 2 tune. We can also help you out with some Brew City Boost tuning as well. We have their canned Stage 2 maps (Highlander and MacGyver) and can also set your for a custom datalogged tune with your specific upgrades. If this is something that you're interested in, please let me know.

Also, there's no relocating the camera for FMIC installation. You just have to make some modifications to the OEM grille and remove the shutters. But the camera itself stays in place. Additionally, Adaptive Cruise Control will stay in place unless you swap out your front bumper for an aftermarket option.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with frame cut, you're forced to go with an FMIC in the main grille area and there are no options that will work with your S8 kit. If you're looking for other high mounted light options, I'd look into selling your S8 kit to someone on the forums and look into adding a pair of XL80 lights on hood mounts.

CVF is the cheapest and is confirmed to fit with most aftermarket bumpers. aFe Power, it works, not very popular, not a lot of data behind it. AMS, easy install and a very quality part. Wagner, a little more complicated but also very high quality and it's the largest intercooler on the market for the stock location.

The FMIC behind the main grille get the most airflow, are larger, and flow better. That being said, ANY intercooler upgrade is significantly better than stock. Personally, I'd go with Wagner or AMS for the intercooler and then run a Stage 2 tune. We can also help you out with some Brew City Boost tuning as well. We have their canned Stage 2 maps (Highlander and MacGyver) and can also set your for a custom datalogged tune with your specific upgrades. If this is something that you're interested in, please let me know.

Also, there's no relocating the camera for FMIC installation. You just have to make some modifications to the OEM grille and remove the shutters. But the camera itself stays in place. Additionally, Adaptive Cruise Control will stay in place unless you swap out your front bumper for an aftermarket option.

Got it, thanks for the details...off to do some research on the Wagner and AMS ones.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Do you guys think Mishimoto Intercooler is adequate to run Cobb Stage 2 Tune (one from Goostuned).

i can say it, because I don't sell parts or have to worry about what mishimoto thinks of my commentary...

I would use any other option out there before mishimoto.

Same goes for their overflow tank.

Whoever is designing mishimoto parts tends to forget about the properties of the materials used in the factory fittings that you reuse. This leads to failure of the system under extreme conditions.

I ran their overflow tank for a minute. Guess what? Ford designed that ugly tank and the cooling line fittings to expand at the same rate so that leaks do not occur when things get very hot, or very cold.

Mishimoto, on the other hand, makes the tanks and "spouts" out of aluminum. They designed the OD to be slightly smaller to make it easier to connect the lines.

When it is 128 degrees outside, and you are driving your truck hard, The plastic expands at a faster rate than aluminum because the aluminum acts as a heat sink.

The plastic line couplers also use a steel "clip" to hold them onto the "spout". The spring tension on the clip is not strong enough to maintain the connection once the plastic expands while the aluminum does not.

This makes the lines come off the overflow tank.

Then ALL of the coolant spews out.

Ask me how I know.

All things considered, I'd still choose the SVC intercooler. It offers the most clearance and will work with any bumper option that you decide on, regardless of who makes it.

Other ICs will not work with SVC frame cut bumpers due to clearance on the driver's side.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going with the SVC intercooler and a KHC Baja frame cut bumper. Its the one they recommend but as @zombiekiller noted it fits well the & the charge pipes are tucked in tight and it works with lots of bumpers.

The Cobb intercooler looks nice because its black and I am sure they have made a nice product since all the Cobb stuff from my old STi days was top notch.

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can say it, because I don't sell parts or have to worry about what mishimoto thinks of my commentary...

I would use any other option out there before mishimoto.

Same goes for their overflow tank.

Whoever is designing mishimoto parts tends to forget about the properties of the materials used in the factory fittings that you reuse. This leads to failure of the system under extreme conditions.

I ran their overflow tank for a minute. Guess what? Ford designed that ugly tank and the cooling line fittings to expand at the same rate so that leaks do not occur when things get very hot, or very cold.

Mishimoto, on the other hand, makes the tanks and "spouts" out of aluminum. They designed the OD to be slightly smaller to make it easier to connect the lines.

When it is 128 degrees outside, and you are driving your truck hard, The plastic expands at a faster rate than aluminum because the aluminum acts as a heat sink.

The plastic line couplers also use a steel "clip" to hold them onto the "spout". The spring tension on the clip is not strong enough to maintain the connection once the plastic expands while the aluminum does not.

This makes the lines come off the overflow tank.

Then ALL of the coolant spews out.

Ask me how I know.

All things considered, I'd still choose the SVC intercooler. It offers the most clearance and will work with any bumper option that you decide on, regardless of who makes it.

Other ICs will not work with SVC frame cut bumpers due to clearance on the driver's side.
I am not worried about needing to expend because its not overflow tank. I just want to know if the size of it is adequate for Stage 2 tune. I dont want to go with FMIC i want the one that sits in stock location

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I am not worried about needing to expend because its not overflow tank. I just want to know if the size of it is adequate for Stage 2 tune. I dont want to go with FMIC i want the one that sits in stock location
ok, let me more direct and clear.

Mishimoto quality is less than ideal. The diatribe about the overflow tank was to illustrate the lack of attention to design and detail, including materials, that mishimoto shows their products.

In short:

Anything before mishimoto.

Buy the highest quality product that you can afford. The FMIC is an extremely important component of your truck.