GEN 2 WHICH FMIC to buy?!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zfgracing

Reaction score
Factory piping already big enough? My understanding is that a larger thinner intercooler would cool better than a shorter fatter one because it has more surface area? I have the full race kit in order should be coming soon. Pairing it with ams tubes and afe cai.
yes, and it's plastic which acts like an insulator to keep it from heat soaking a low speed. Ford did a pressure good job on the hot and cold piping so there really isn’t a meaningful pressure lose from the compressor outlet to the throttle body (minus the intercooler itself, that thing sucks). So you don’t really gain much. Let’s you gain 10 hp at most, but you lose at least that if not more in heat soak. And on top of that, you have bigger piping which is a larger volume that has to be pressurized before the manifold, ie it’s going to increase your transient response time (lag). So there really isn’t anything to gain here on the stock turbos. On top of the mishimoto intercooler really is not that great, better than stock but not great.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DeltaRaptor

Reaction score
I have the Cobb and would say it is by far the best quality for performance and aesthetics.
It is one of the most efficient as well from what my tuner sees. Just my opinion.
It goes great with the COBB Access Port as well.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am i the same boat, I`m looking for a FMIC that does not require a lot of cutting factory mounting braces or other parts of the truck. My reason for that is from being a warranty scorned Jeep JL owner and having every recall or issue declined because I had modified the Jeep in some way. Including putting on a factory Mopar Lift bought right from the dealer I bought the Jeep from. I know every dealer is different but I spent countless hours reverting my Jeep back to stock just to have warranty work done, not to mention a lot of money. What are the chances that they have to replace a steering box at low miles only to have the same issue and have another steering box installed along with a lot of other suspension components.
This is why I have been reading the installation manuals on the aftermarket FMIC and some do require modification that I can easily handle, but I would be worried big time if I had to bring the truck in for any type of warranty work. It seems like the lesser known brands require the least amount of modification, maybe because they are not trying to get the most out of the upgrade. I have looked at Garrat, Mishimoto, Addictive designs, Cobb, Wagner, Full Race etc... I`m not looking to push the truck to the limits but if I can pick up a little HP from a GearHeads tune and some other bolt-on`s I`m all for it. Thanks in advance

zfgracing

Reaction score
I have the Cobb and would say it is by far the best quality for performance and aesthetics.
It is one of the most efficient as well from what my tuner sees. Just my opinion.
It goes great with the COBB Access Port as well.
The problem is the relocated intercoolers don't see as much airflow because the radiator and condenser are right behind them. I understand you may want to do for relocated intercooler for more than one reason including frame cut bumpers etc. But it is not the best position on the truck for the intercooler.

That being said still 100x better than stock just not best performing of the bunch and it's up there cost wise compared to the ams and Wagner intercooler.

BHook

Reaction score
Hello all, I am i the same boat, I`m looking for a FMIC that does not require a lot of cutting factory mounting braces or other parts of the truck. My reason for that is from being a warranty scorned Jeep JL owner and having every recall or issue declined because I had modified the Jeep in some way. Including putting on a factory Mopar Lift bought right from the dealer I bought the Jeep from. I know every dealer is different but I spent countless hours reverting my Jeep back to stock just to have warranty work done, not to mention a lot of money. What are the chances that they have to replace a steering box at low miles only to have the same issue and have another steering box installed along with a lot of other suspension components.
This is why I have been reading the installation manuals on the aftermarket FMIC and some do require modification that I can easily handle, but I would be worried big time if I had to bring the truck in for any type of warranty work. It seems like the lesser known brands require the least amount of modification, maybe because they are not trying to get the most out of the upgrade. I have looked at Garrat, Mishimoto, Addictive designs, Cobb, Wagner, Full Race etc... I`m not looking to push the truck to the limits but if I can pick up a little HP from a GearHeads tune and some other bolt-on`s I`m all for it. Thanks in advance

Probably should look into a CVF Titan intercooler, stock location, retains factory louvers and fans.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don't need to relocate your intercooler don't. The stock location intercooler provides the best airflow potential. I've tuned with just about every intercooler on the market and I must say my 2 favorite are the Wagner tuning intercooler and ams performance intercooler.

I'd love to see the data to back up this claim.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem is the relocated intercoolers don't see as much airflow because the radiator and condenser are right behind them. I understand you may want to do for relocated intercooler for more than one reason including frame cut bumpers etc. But it is not the best position on the truck for the intercooler.

That being said still 100x better than stock just not best performing of the bunch and it's up there cost wise compared to the ams and Wagner intercooler.

Stacking radiators/intercoolers/ac condensers is not a big deal - plenty of OEMs do this already. Again, do you have data to share or...?