What mileage was your first oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when did you all change your oil for the first time? After so many months or miles? How did your oil look? Did you do anything else other than just an oil change?

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed oil and filter the first time after a ginger 750 mile break in period where I worked on training my tranny and keeping the RPM's in check. I also did an oil flush prior to loading it up with fresh synthetic in case there were any metal shavings lurking in the netherregions of my engine.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil and filter at 750. Also hosed the battery post down with some corrosion preventer and battery sealer, which I will continue to do at every oil change. Better to do it now while they're still in good shape and NOT corroded.

I ran it hard over its break in period (I believe break it in how you intend on driving it), the oil still looked clean. Will continue to change every 3000 miles.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran it hard over its break in period (I believe break it in how you intend on driving it)

See I've heard both schools of thought on the soft vs. hard break-in. When it comes to something like this, I don't ACTUALLY know what I'm talking about... I just draw on my resources, take what I believe to be the best advice available and go with that, then retell the story and my experiences since.

I don't yet have the requisite mechanical knowledge to truly understand the differences going on in the inner mechanics of the engine and tranny during a planned and scheduled hard break in vs. the soft break in.... and I'm also not pretending to. That's why I need a place like this.... where I can draw on you guys, your resources, your experiences and compare those to mine.

As to the results of my soft break in, based on the advice I chose to take.... (for the first 750 I kept it under 3500 RPMs, ran through all the gears regularly with a good mix of highway + stop and go driving, I also tried to focus on coming to full stops at stop signs. After the 750 oil flush and change I started hammering it, then proceeded to drive with my normal habits) .....I'm pretty happy with the results. But sometimes when I'm coming to a full stop I get a hard downshift from second to first... other than that, everything feels pretty smooth and appropriate.

Pirate, how does yours feel compared to my story? Are you happy with the hard break-in results? You have a 6.2 also, right?

...Sometimes I wonder if I were to reset my tranny's adaptive tables and try driving hard or regularly if it would then get rid of that occasional rough 10mph-0mph downshift.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pirate, how does yours feel compared to my story? Are you happy with the hard break-in results? You have a 6.2 also, right?

...Sometimes I wonder if I were to reset my tranny's adaptive tables and try driving hard or regularly if it would then get rid of that occasional rough 10mph-0mph downshift.

Yes, 6.2. I'm happy with my break-in. I've always broke my personal engines in this way, never had any problems. At the same time I don't think a "soft" break-in is the worst approach either.

My trans does occasionally down shift hard like you're describing. I don't know if anything besides a tuner will correct Fords weird/random shift schedules they got programed. It also up shifts way too fast from 1st to 2nd for my liking. I think its just the built in fuel saver shit hard at work.

This motor (at least mine) lives in its own world. Some mornings when I fire it up, it lopes and idles pretty rough for a good few seconds. It did this the very first morning I owned it, it does it off and on, almost depending on temp, the colder the rougher, but not always. Typically Ford's start up idle is pretty high and smooth. Mine's cold idle speed is different daily (after it decides if it wants to be all grumpy or not). But if I put it into first gear (without touching the accelerator) after I let it warm up for a minute, hold the hell on! It will idle/drive around at 30mph, lol. There's no sense or consistency to it's madness. Apparently, it's not a morning person.

It gives me it's morning attitude, and makes occasional ticks, but it doesn't worry me one bit. It's got character like a machine should. It consistently pulls, smooth and hard, never missing a beat. That's the part that matters. It continues to gulp its fuel and get stronger everyday.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer changed oil for the first time 1 month after purchase. The stupid ****s spilt oil all over the skid plate and did not clean it up. Broker in good n hard. Modern engines dont need a break in period like old cars did, like they dont need long warm ups. The quality and tolerances are so tight today its unbeleivable. It still needs to break in, but I dont think how you do it matter as much, just get that first few oil changes in fast.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed oil at 3k and rotated tires (rotate every 3k for me) Using Motorcraft 5W-20 Syn-blend and FR oil flters. 17K now and averarging 16.5 mpg. Lovin' this truck!

FSM

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Had the dealer change my oil at about 3000 miles because it was free but never again.
They also spilled the shit all over the place "PIGS".
Doing all of my oil changes from now on and removing the skid plate, not just the tiny little F'n door.
FULL SYN..

danmpe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine at near 5k. I had it done at the dealer never had any problems with the dealer here always kept me informed.