Dysfunctional Oil Filter Drip Catcher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfw62

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what the engineer that spec'd out the oil drip catcher for when you remove the oil filter on my Gen 3 was thinking. With the end of the drain trough clearly visible when you remove the access panel in the front skid plate I felt pretty confident I could easily collect any oil that dripped from removing the filter in my drain pan. However, as I slowly unscrewed the filter I began to hear oil dripping but rather than come out where one would expect at the access panel opening it was dripping from farther back on top of the underbody panel that says "do not remove for oil change". Upon removing the front skid plate and the "do not remove for oil change" panel I found that the oil filter drip catcher had a second drain hole in the rear that was up high and inaccessible without removing the skid plate and other panel. I finished unscrewing the oil filter and collected the drippings from the rear drain hole. After cleaning everything up, I removed the oil filter drip catcher to get a better look at it and could not believe what I found. The way it is designed and mounted there is no way any oil that drips from removing the filter will ever drain out from the front as one would expect. The drip catcher is designed such that any oil that drips into it from unscrewing the filter goes to the rear of the catcher and out the hole in the back. If the bottom of the drip catcher did not slope to the rear with the added drain hole it would easily catch the oil that drips when removing the filter and direct it out via the trough that is in the access panel opening.

What could have been a job well done item (oil filter drip catcher) is a WTF were they thinking item? Hard to believe that the 3rd generation of an otherwise awesome vehicle still is a huge PITA for doing your own oil changes. Looking for any tips on oil change best practices for my Gen 3. Might buy another oil filter drip catcher and try to modify it so any oil that it catches gets directed out the front. Anyone do something along these lines?

Attachments

• Oil Filter Drip Catcher.jpg
    Oil Filter Drip Catcher.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Oil drip tray.jpg
    Oil drip tray.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine seems to work fine. Not sure where you are trying to make it drain, I only get oil from one spot when removing the filter.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Gen 2's with truck level I place jug/funnel under back end drain (already a port through the skid). Nothing extra to remove. Have Fumoto valve with hose on the engine pan. Do the Gen 3's not have a rear port in the skid for the oil to drain through?

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth (similar set up for Gen 1)
Gen 1 I always just remove the skid plate because I hate messes.
Takes extra 5 minutes and then when new filter is placed and oil filled up you can check for leaks before you put the skid plate back.
I use the aluminum foil trick for my 03 Cobra.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i remember my first time... it was really messy, but practice makes perfect.. youll be better next time..

i think you'll have a really big mess if you direct all the oil out the front.. gen2 anyways most goes out that back hole in the lower skid.. usually unscrew it and let it go for awhile before removing it all the way..