Dysfunctional Oil Filter Drip Catcher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RNA352

Reaction score
I just stuff a bunch of pig mats up under and around the filter before loosening it.

I do have a lift and I do remove the skid plate for better access.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, are the Gen 3’s so different? With skids in place, filter access removed, I use couple gallon jugs and a funnel in it. Usually zero mess. An extra wipe of a rag at most if needed. Granted mostly due to the fumoto valve.

OP
OP
dfw62

dfw62

Reaction score
On Gen 2's with truck level I place jug/funnel under back end drain (already a port through the skid). Nothing extra to remove. Have Fumoto valve with hose on the engine pan. Do the Gen 3's not have a rear port in the skid for the oil to drain through?
Gen 3 has the rear port in the skid for the oil to drop through. My issue is that the oil has to drop down from above the plate such that oil can get onto the top of the plate which cannot be wiped off without removing the two skid plates (second one just thin steel). Plus oil remains up in the drip catcher to drip down later. Drip catcher is difficult to wipe clean without removing it.

I'll likely be pulling the front skid plate and using a formable funnel to catch and direct my oil filter drippings to a drain pan for future oil changes. The engine drain location is pretty straight forward with a formable funnel to direct the oil.

I'll admit that I can't stand leaving any amount of drain oil on any part of my truck and I hear some saying just suck it up and stop whining but FORD could have easily made doing oil changes a much simpler no mess process. IMO it's a shame a Gen 1 issue that should have been addressed in the Gen 2 design still remains in Gen 3. Don't get me wrong I love the truck just a little annoyed by this.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gen 3 has the rear port in the skid for the oil to drop through. My issue is that the oil has to drop down from above the plate such that oil can get onto the top of the plate which cannot be wiped off without removing the two skid plates (second one just thin steel). Plus oil remains up in the drip catcher to drip down later. Drip catcher is difficult to wipe clean without removing it.
Ah... mine nothing ever gets on top of skid. Also failed to mention the filter AND drip catcher get hit with brake clean which takes care of any residual "OldFart" drip after the fact. :p

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I'll likely be pulling the front skid plate and using a formable funnel to catch and direct my oil filter drippings to a drain pan for future oil changes. The engine drain location is pretty straight forward with a formable funnel to direct the oil.

I'll admit that I can't stand leaving any amount of drain oil on any part of my truck and I hear some saying just suck it up and stop whining but FORD could have easily made doing oil changes a much simpler no mess process. IMO it's a shame a Gen 1 issue that should have been addressed in the Gen 2 design still remains in Gen 3. Don't get me wrong I love the truck just a little annoyed by this.

i think you didnt read my previous post..

crack the oil filter loose and it will drain thru the rear hole.. once it has stopped, remove the filter and you'll only get a couple of drops on the plastic "gutter drain"

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just remove the skids and always have from day 1. It's easier to get a good look at everything and do a proper inspection when doing the oil change. If you want to use the oil change door through the skid, I guess the best bet would be to use a valve. I've seen some guys attach a tube to it so it just all drains directly into the pan, but it takes forever to drain the oil that way.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil for the first time last night and experienced what you all are talking about here. My truck is leveled in the front. And yep, all the oil came out the back drain hole in the skid.

It’s a real pain to get everything cleaned out without taking the skid plates off. So I’ll be doing that next time. It was around midnight and the garage is below the master bedroom. So I didn’t want to break out the air tools and hear it from the wife.