Oil differences... an observation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hal993

Reaction score
2020 Gen 2. 33,300 on the odometer.
Purchased at 30,149 in September... That is also the mileage (by records) of the last oil change (dealer on intake in July).

When I changed the oil yesterday, the oil was... not fresh looking hahahaha... I mean not fresh - and definitely not synthetic.

After putting in Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 (I bit the bullet - hoping to drive this truck for a long time), the truck engine is MUCH quieter on start up (not phaser rattle - just in general). That was a total surprise to me. I did not expect this - nor was I "looking" for a change. The engine/drive train also feels smoother in daily driving.

That's crazy. - thought I'd pass it on for anyone "on the fence" about Penzoil UP Oil. ... or on the fence about whether or not to let the dealer change your oil.

Last edited:

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice in oil my friend. I’ve been using same since I purchased my 2018 new. Change it every 5 g’s with new filter and you should be good. Some folks might not like it but my truck has never been back to any dealer since purchase and has 55,863 miles of trouble free fun. Installed a JLT catch can and it captures almost one ounce of blow by consistently per oil change.. Oh, and if that’s your first “RAPTOR” welcome..

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please enlighten me on how you know it was not synthetic!!

But yes, I love the Pennzoil Ultra for sure for my truck as well 0w-40 for me!!!

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used that same engine juice during the most recent oil change on a 2012 3.5 ecoboost with 178XXX miles. That annoying cam phaser rattle went away, and hasn't returned!

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's crazy. - thought I'd pass it on for anyone "on the fence" about Penzoil UP Oil. ... or on the fence about whether or not to let the dealer change your oil.
I just bring 6 quartz of Penzoil platinum and filter to the dealer....they charge me 32 bucks in labor. Ive never trusted dealers and their random drums of oil and less possibility of over filling, which has happened to me countless times.

I have yet to try Penziol ultra!

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I just bring 6 quartz of Penzoil platinum and filter to the dealer....they charge me 32 bucks in labor. Ive never trusted dealers and their random drums of oil and less possibility of over filling, which has happened to me countless times.

I have yet to try Penziol ultra!
And the service tech sets that oil to the side for his own vehicle and proceeds to use the drum oil for your truck. lol.