Shop left my oil filler cap off - road tripped 2500 miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhMyJosh

Reaction score
Before embarking on our road trip from VA through the south, then southwest, and through the mountains of Colorado towing our trailer, I had the geniuses at NTB install new tires and do an oil change. About 2500 miles and many mountain passes later towing a 4000lb rig, I started to smell oil coming up the pass to Ouray, CO. I checked under the hood, and the filler cap was neatly placed by the rad hose, and oil was sprayed all over the passenger side of the engine. Dipstick shows it’s still in the right range but I can’t help but think the dust in Moab, Arizona, and Colorado could compromise the 6.2. I’m dealing with NTB now to get restitution but what would y’all recommend? Take it to the ford dealer ASAP to have a full inspection, flush, and change? The oil looks fine and again - didn’t lose enough to register but I hate the feeling of an open hole towing my rig for almost 3k miles.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That really sucks. I had the same thing happen with one of my company cars that was done at a local service garage. It didn't hurt anything, but holy moly did it make a mess, and that was only about 200 miles before I caught it. It had been spraying up against the hood and then spreading out everywhere.

dj30417

XX drive an OG Raptor and a Winnie
Reaction score
Even if you don’t change your own oil or install your own tires, you can check your fluids and pressures. On a road trip, I check every day before I head out. This way I can deal with it in a timely manner and a controlled environment. I’ll admit that I rely on the trans temp gauge instead of checking fluid, but only because no dipstick and it still gets checked b/a trip.