RPG Off-Road 3rd Brake Light/Chase Light | COMING SOON (PRE-ORDERS OPEN)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a technical question here

Is there a relay in the harness?

I’ve found the BCM is --VERY-- sensitive to draw on the reverse and cargo circuits, and I can say that a pair of squadron sports is too much. you’re talking 3 S2 PROS here.

No there's never been a relay. And there's never been any issues with the BCM and the brake lights. There is a resistor pack that connects behind the brake light. Sits between the factory circuit and the 3x red led lights.

We've sold TONS of these (from another brand) and have never had issues with circuits or power.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
No there's never been a relay. And there's never been any issues with the BCM and the brake lights. There is a resistor pack that connects behind the brake light. Sits between the factory circuit and the 3x red led lights.

We've sold TONS of these (from another brand) and have never had issues with circuits or power.
:hmmm2:

so s2 pro = 1.7a

ss = 2.2a

that’s 4.4a for a pair of squadrons, 5.1a for a trio of s2’s. I’m not sure what the draw on the 3rd brake light is, but I’m pretty sure it’s nowhere near 4.4a, much less 5.1. If you’ve not had previous trouble and the harness is the same-ish then maybe it’s good. Maybe other FRF could shed some light here ( not doubting you haven’t had issues )

At least we now have a third light option.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:hmmm2:

so s2 pro = 1.7a

ss = 2.2a

that’s 4.4a for a pair of squadrons, 5.1a for a trio of s2’s. I’m not sure what the draw on the 3rd brake light is, but I’m pretty sure it’s nowhere near 4.4a, much less 5.1. If you’ve not had previous trouble and the harness is the same-ish then maybe it’s good. Maybe other FRF could shed some light here ( not doubting you haven’t had issues )

At least we now have a third light option.

typically, the S2 ambers are wired to an upfitter for chase duty, i have 2 s2 sports on AUX4 and the center would be cargo light..

the 3 LED brake lights use a dimmer control relay to give 2 brightness factors... Running and brake

so really only one S2 on the factory cargo light circuit, which functions pretty normally and even dims out when turning off..

been running the GJ setup for 4+ years without issue on a 2019

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
typically, the S2 ambers are wired to an upfitter for chase duty, i have 2 s2 sports on AUX4 and the center would be cargo light..

the 3 LED brake lights use a dimmer control relay to give 2 brightness factors... Running and brake

so really only one S2 on the factory cargo light circuit, which functions pretty normally and even dims out when turning off..

been running the GJ setup for 4+ years without issue on a 2019
Awesome!

this is making more sense now. I figured it had to be something fairly simple

Thanks !

now I have to figure out the budget aspect.

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised GJ couldn’t get a patent on their 3rd brake design.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am surprised GJ couldn’t get a patent on their 3rd brake design.
Why? He actually wasn't the first to do this, but he definitely stepped up the design game on it..

I put some Fenix emergency vehicle switchback lights in a gen1 stock housing long before GJ came around, but those were really not bright enough for daytime snow use...Cargo light worked as normal and flip an outfitter to get amber chase lights..

Miller off road was making them out of sheet metal, but pretty rudimentary and basically no weather seal..

Still pretty proud of this.. would have been perfect if those lights were a little brighter

Last edited:

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? He actually wasn't the first to do this, but he definitely stepped up the design game on it..

I put some Fenix emergency vehicle switchback lights in a gen1 stock housing long before GJ came around, but those were really not bright enough for daytime snow use...Cargo light worked as normal and flip an outfitter to get amber chase lights..

Miller off road was making them out of sheet metal, but pretty rudimentary and basically no weather seal..
Never said he was the first. Was just pointing out it would be an excellent niche market to own if you could. Billet does not cost much if you already have the machines in place.

Loved my GJ on my Gen 1. I am sure RPG will make a quality product as well. Good for them for stepping up.