RPG Off-Road 3rd Brake Light/Chase Light | COMING SOON (PRE-ORDERS OPEN)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am surprised GJ couldn’t get a patent on their 3rd brake design.

Shoulda coulda woulda...

If GJ didn't drop off the face of the earth and ignore all their customers/dealers nobody would have had to make another version. BUT since they've basically dissapeared for the last year+ now... it was only a matter of time before a bigger company decided to step in.

I'm sure RPG only stepped in because they saw the writing on the wall and i'm glad they did. They are a very well known company that makes great products.

I was a big fan of the GJ one, ran one on my Gen2. Had issues with the leds but that can happen (still never got replacements come to think of it, despite asking years ago). It was a solid product.

We've already got quite a few pre-orders so we might be upping our initial stocking order.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do or plan on doing any group off-road events, especially ones that run at night, stay away from the Driving/Combo lens. That spot light lens will blind the driver of truck behind you.

I recommend the S2 Sports (Pro's are overkill as a chase light) with the work/scene lens in all three lights. They are still crazy bright. And you won't blind the person running behind you. These lights sit right at eye level of the driver behind you. Their job is not to light up the trail behind you, but rather to alert the vehicle behind you that you are there.

IMG_2900.jpeg

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you do or plan on doing any group off-road events, especially ones that run at night, stay away from the Driving/Combo lens. That spot light lens will blind the driver of truck behind you.

I recommend the S2 Sports (Pro's are overkill as a chase light) with the work/scene lens in all three lights. They are still crazy bright. And you won't blind the person running behind you. These lights sit right at eye level of the driver behind you. Their job is not to light up the trail behind you, but rather to alert the vehicle behind you that you are there.

View attachment 442608

In my experience you WANT to blind the guy behind you. He NEEDS to see you. That's why we recommend Driving/Combo so that the chase light shoots back far and he notices you bigtime. In an off-road event at night anybody coming up on you needs to see you and needs to be VERY WELL AWARE you are there. You're end goal is to get as much attention as possible at night. Ever see a Baja Racer? THey have lots of strobesr and what not

CUTiger

Reaction score
In my experience you WANT to blind the guy behind you. He NEEDS to see you. That's why we recommend Driving/Combo so that the chase light shoots back far and he notices you bigtime. In an off-road event at night anybody coming up on you needs to see you and needs to be VERY WELL AWARE you are there. You're end goal is to get as much attention as possible at night. Ever see a Baja Racer? THey have lots of strobesr and what not
Running a race and running in a group rally are two different items here. Wide cornering at most if you want to keep your friends. The lenses shown in RPGs mount are the correct ones. Just say no to spots!

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Running a race and running in a group rally are two different items here. Wide cornering at most if you want to keep your friends. The lenses shown in RPGs mount are the correct ones. Just say no to spots!

Well we let the customer decide luckily what patterns they want :) We don't force customers into a pattern, so you can choose wide if you want at checkout.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

It depends on the conditions. If you’re only dealing with mud, then sports are fine and spot lenses are definitely overkill. In dusty conditions however, spots can keep you from getting plowed into because in heavy dust, the wide lenses just throw out an incoherent light pattern that does not project far. We’re talking maybe a couple of truck lengths and at speed, that’s not enough. I think I get what Adam is saying here.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you said is true if you are racing. I'm talking about running group events where you are following each other, running in a pack, like any of the Raptor events that take place across the country. Day or night, I do not want to be behind someone running S2 Pro's with a combo or spot lens. As @CUTiger said; wide cornering at most if you want to keep your friends.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What you said is true if you are racing. I'm talking about running group events where you are following each other, running in a pack, like any of the Raptor events that take place across the country. Day or night, I do not want to be behind someone running S2 Pro's with a combo or spot lens. As @CUTiger said; wide cornering at most if you want to keep your friends.

We don't force someone into a pattern as I said. You get to pick what patterns you want on our site. So if you want wide on your truck you can certainly buy wide. If someone wants Driving/Combo, they can buy Driving/Combo.

I don't want to be that close to anybody at night honestly. If you're running chase lights it's because you want people behind you coming up on you to see you. If you're doing a slow 20mph snow run, you don't need to have chase lights on because you're doing a slow crawl. The buy at the very end needs chase lights since there is nobody behind him on the slow run.

If you're doing one of these events at night from one of the groups who put them on, well honestly i want the BRIGHTEST THING possible because in my opinion most of these groups DO NOT time people out properly. And people come racing up as if they are in a baja 1000 while another guy is just out having fun in his daily driver.

I've BEEN THERE with crazy guys come FLYING UP on me in (what is supposed to be) a nice, easy going event. So yeah, for my $$ i want something bright/obnoxious to make sure the guy behind me SEES me.

For crawling events where we're just cruising i don't turn my rears on because we're all so close and we're not out racing.

But for events i've done where you're doing 40-60mph on some trail at night and you're spaced out, you bet i want something bright and blinding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter