I have 60k miles on my 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear a positive story. My rear brakes are getting thin also, and I'm concerned about the service procedure, too. Almost 53k on my 2020.
I know you have to somehow disable the parking brake to service rear brakes. I think it can be done by some procedure of pushing buttons and pumping either the brake or accelerator pedals or with a service scanner. I may just let the shop that services all my company vehicles do it, they know all about it and I trust them. I was far and away their best customer when they got their business up and running( I have a lot of beat up vehicles and too many careless employees), so they go out of their way to keep me happy even though they have got quite a thriving business now. I thought only Volkswagen could make the simple complicated, but apparently Ford can also. I guess since they are doing it, I’ll get them to replace the brake fluid, diff fluids and transfer fluid since they have a lift and rolling around on my garage floor isn’t as entertaining as it once was. Yesterdays leaf spring job kicked my ass, 3 Ibuprofen and a good nights rest fixed me up this morning though.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there's a procedure you can do at home, I just haven't researched it yet.
As far as my transmission goes, I'll probably have the dealer do that, cuz like you said, rolling around on the garage floor isn't any fun anymore, lol. Plus they made it so convenient to check the level :rolleyes:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
60K on original brakes, I have 33K on my 2019 that I bought used at 29K. The rear inboard pad is down to about 30% I noticed yesterday while replacing my rear springs. I didn’t think they should be that worn at only 33K. I’ve been doing Raptor things with it since I’ve owned it, but it had obviously never been off road much, if any, from previous owner. I guess they’ve made changing disc brake pads difficult with the electronic parking brake. Time to start researching that……
The procedure to replace rear pads with electric park brake is in the owners manual.

Be happy as Ford is about the only manufacturer that allows the owner to do it without a scan tool.

Be for warned, put the park brake in service mode BEFORE removing the caliper.

When activated the electronic module runs the pistons OUT until they touch something THEN retracts. If the caliper is free hanging or not mounted IT WILL screw the piston all the way out and onto the floor with said brake fluid mess along with it.

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe there's a procedure you can do at home, I just haven't researched it yet.
As far as my transmission goes, I'll probably have the dealer do that, cuz like you said, rolling around on the garage floor isn't any fun anymore, lol. Plus they made it so convenient to check the level :rolleyes:
Step 1, purchase B&W dipstick

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The procedure to replace rear pads with electric park brake is in the owners manual.

Be happy as Ford is about the only manufacturer that allows the owner to do it without a scan tool.

Be for warned, but the park brake in service mode BEFORE removing the caliper.

When activated the electronic module runs the pistons OUT until they touch something THEN retracts. If the caliper is free hanging or not mounted IT WILL screw the piston all the way out and onto the floor with said brake fluid mess along with it.
I hope you didn't find out the hard way…

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter