Dysfunctional Oil Filter Drip Catcher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floyd554

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine on level ground. Surprisingly easy with no real mess. No need for a Fumoto valve or anything else. No drips afterwards. Don’t know what all the fuss is about????? My only complaint is why doesn’t Ford use the same size/type of fastener on the oil filter access panel and drain plug access panel!!!!!!

Pismobound

Reaction score
I just remove the skids and always have from day 1. It's easier to get a good look at everything and do a proper inspection when doing the oil change. If you want to use the oil change door through the skid, I guess the best bet would be to use a valve. I've seen some guys attach a tube to it so it just all drains directly into the pan, but it takes forever to drain the oil that way.
I also remove both skid plates. A bit of a pain in the a$$ but like SurfRaptor, it gives me a chance to check the underside of the engine and transmission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't Suprise me. On the Gen two the oil drain plug is still over the skid plate. So with initial pressure it's great but then after pressure loss it goes onto the skid plate. All they needed to do was cut out another inch or two of the skid plate you remove for the oil change and this wouldn't happen. I'm sure the Fumoto valve I installed with correct this as it is longer but also the hose with help.

vazo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2018 Gen 2, and a 2022 Gen 3, and experienced the mess when removing the oil filter. I researched to see if there was an oil filter relocation kit available but there was nothing and I'm sure if there was it would void the warranty.

I just got my 2023 Raptor R and haven't done an oil change on it yet but I can confirm that the filter is in the same location as my previous Raptors with same drip tray setup. I guess we will find out at some point if the mess and cleanup continues on the R.