Transmission jumping out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BSouders80 Let us know what stall you went with on the converter and how you end up liking it along with the work from MSR. They were on my short list along with Circle D and PBH for when I want to rebuild my trans.

Any reputable transmission shop should be doing a full assessment including valve body and solenoid tests and provide you a replacement estimate for any new hard parts needed beyond the normal rebuild. Based on the posts I’ve seen from Mustang 6R80 guys, you are in good hands.

I’m thinking of getting a new converter as well when I do a rebuild, but don’t want to screw up light to mid-throttle drivability. I’ve also heard that certain tuners lock up the converter so quickly that changing the stall doesn’t make as much of a difference. Either way, interested to hear your assessment.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BSouders80 I see the converter model details, but I don’t think it indicates which stall. Apologies if I’m just missing it. That model appears to have three different options per the screenshot from the product page. Your tuner is likely going to want to know exactly what the stall is as it has a big impact on how the truck shifts and drives and when they lock up and the converter.IMG_1655.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered over the phone and wasn’t given an option on stall speed. Another guy with a Livernois setup close to mine got the same TC from circle D. Brian from Circle D said it’s very close to stock stall speed. Attached is a screen shot of the email from Brian at Circle D to the owner of the other Livernois setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2611.jpeg
    IMG_2611.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that stock stall and getting the power to the ground the quickest is the goal. I’m sure I’d tear the heck out of the next week launching at a higher stall. I have to remind myself this isn’t a drag truck.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BSouders80 the stock stall speed is probably more advantageous for high speed running such as if you ever hit the sand or any situation with a lot of sustained RPM from tire spinning etc. A higher stall would probably increase your risk of overheating the trans for anything other than short bursts.

I’m guessing they have you on the 2500-2700 range.

Looking forward to your review once you get the built trans in.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy who has the same TC said the stall on his is about 2650 rpm. I’ll report back when I get it installed. Gotta wait until mid June I’d say.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TC from Circle D arrived yesterday 5/16. MS Racing should be tearing down the transmission this weekend. They have all of the rebuild parts in hand - the clutches and billets shafts. During tear down, I expect they will find something else "broken" due to the searching for gears when trying to shift. So it is possible that a couple of parts may need to be ordered from FORD. If not, I could have it back pretty soon. I'll know more after the weekend.

I was surprised on the weight of the box. I had to shift down to a lower gear to get it picked up off of the step.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Transmission got tore down on Monday.

No obvious signs of anything being broken. They highly suspect the valve body and the oil pump was getting to be in bad shape. Replaced the valve body and oil pump. That added $1265. They suggested new oem with Ford.

Parts were available and assembled on Tuesday. Got it shipped out today via u-ship. $265 for shipping.

Right now, it’s scheduled to be installed next Thursday.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I finally got my transmission delivered to the repair shop today and dropped off my torque converter.

Shipped via Uship, which subbed the order to YRC or Yellow. Shipped 5/24 with expected delivery of 5/31. I had to go pick it up from a depot about 1.5 hr away or it would not have delivered until 6/7.

The shop has it down to install on Tuesday 6/6.