GEN 1 Pinion Bearings - DIY or Hire Out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Part of being a DIYer is knowing where to draw the line, some things need to be handled by the professionals. Having the proper tools amd experience are needed to do the job in a timely manner. I don't mind paying for expertise if the job gets done correctly.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Part of being a DIYer is knowing where to draw the line, some things need to be handled by the professionals. Having the proper tools amd experience are needed to do the job in a timely manner. I don't mind paying for expertise if the job gets done correctly.
True professionals are in short order these days. Experts are even more Rare. This is (IMO) of most "physical" job fields today. Now You Tube and I.T. Lots of good people out there. LOL

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Raptor has had a loud hum/howl going on for a few weeks now. Took it into the dealer today to get it diagnosed and they suspect the pinion bearings have gone out. They drained the rear end and found glitter in the fluid.

The dealer quoted me $2600 to replace. I found a local shop that quoted me $1150 which I don't think is too bad.

Question is, is this a job I could tackle myself? I consider myself to have a good amount of experience for a backyard mechanic. I've done engine rebuilds, transmission swaps, even an auto to manual swap, but I've never messed with gears. I've read that it is better to leave to a shop due to the tolerances and special tools required on differentials. One thing I am worried about is not seeing gear damage that a professional would. Tools-wise I think the biggest thing I am missing is a press but $200 is a lot cheaper than $1200.

What's the consensus? Has anyone done this job?

2014 Gen 1 - 120k miles
Had it happen to me last year, very glad I had someone else do it.