Battery issue, Charging issue or BMS issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new battery in the coming days when life stops raining down random BS on me. For now, I don't think the truck is ever gonna leave me stranded, though I do keep a jumper pack just in case (in every vehicle, so...). I'll probably be out a few hundo, but if it fixes the issue, that'd be great. If not, well then I guess that wasn't my issue. I don't want to do Ford's job for them, but after they had my truck for three weeks and they agreed, yeah, "there's something happening" but then had no idea, answer, or even guesses - well, what to do?

It's annoying more than anything. But I can deal with annoying. Even if it's a 70k-80k-90k vehicle. It's nothing but a 6,000 pound computer full of gasoline and trying to make everything work on a 12v system. I wish we could move on from that and at least double it, though 48v would be best. With the amount of crap going on with these vehicles, we need it. My wife has a Porsche e-hybrid, and even it has hiccups sometimes, and it was more than twice the price of my truck. That said, I also know how to reset that infotainment as well due to Android Auto.

I suppose I'll try the battery thing, manually reset the BMS (battery management system), and see how that goes. I also have a '22 Mustang that I never drive, and it alerts me that features are disabled at whatever the threshold is, I think 14 days, without being started. My truck will tell me its dead after pounding the highway for 10 hours. I don't get it.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your frustration is understandable. You could try to engage Ford C/S ; the service department should have already tried to engage the Ford Eng. team. Maybe @FordTechOne could offer some suggestions to assist in driving the issue to a resolution.

There’s a proper way to go about it and yeah, we paid all that money and all, but we’re still dealing with other human beings so we have to take that into account.
I’ve talked with that awesome man a few times now. The problem is there are no DTCs or things to go off of. The battery is just low sometimes. Perhaps going to an H8 battery (as suggested in a few posts in f150gen14 forum) is the fix. A few of them have done it and has completely resolved their battery issues.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moved to an H8 today. Auto start stop engaged right away. SOC was also 72 and went up to 75 after 15 minutes of driving. Time will tell…

Fits no problem in a gen 3. Even the battery blanket fits over it.

Attachments

• IMG_4655.jpeg
    IMG_4655.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 36

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which OTA is problematic? The priority one? I have a 2021 and I’m a handful of “normal” updates behind
I believe it was the last one in January. Sorry for the late response; I’ve been working long hours at the job lately.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting constant deep sleep mode due to low battery charge level. Battery would get down to 11.8v regularly even after charging. Took it to local dealer and they tested the battery and found it to be ok. Problem is they tested voltage right after driving it. Most will tell you a battery will show a false state of charge and needs time to settle after charging to get a true reading. Had them retest it in front of me after it sat for a couple hours and it showed much lower voltage than the original test. Talked them into replacing the battery under warranty and it has solved all the low voltage issues.

My take on it is that the original batteries in a lot of these trucks were probably significantly drained when many sat for weeks/months at the factory. In my experience with these trucks and all their electronics, the battery will quickly drain while sitting for extended periods of time. Get a battery too low and it will never fully charge back up.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting constant deep sleep mode due to low battery charge level. Battery would get down to 11.8v regularly even after charging. Took it to local dealer and they tested the battery and found it to be ok. Problem is they tested voltage right after driving it. Most will tell you a battery will show a false state of charge and needs time to settle after charging to get a true reading. Had them retest it in front of me after it sat for a couple hours and it showed much lower voltage than the original test. Talked them into replacing the battery under warranty and it has solved all the low voltage issues.

My take on it is that the original batteries in a lot of these trucks were probably significantly drained when many sat for weeks/months at the factory. In my experience with these trucks and all their electronics, the battery will quickly drain while sitting for extended periods of time. Get a battery too low and it will never fully charge back up.
We will see, I agree with you but in my case I did have the original battery replaced by ford only to run into the same issue of low SOC and the vehicle never being charged up enough to engage stop start. Hoping this non motorcradt H8 will do the trick but time will have to tell.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Boom.

All systems are good now. Did the key fob and the truck battery, starts up so much faster and no more mis-starts.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Boom.

All systems are good now. Did the key fob and the truck battery, starts up so much faster and no more mis-starts.
Great news. You didn’t get any truck warnings - key fob battery or similar?
I know what that is; you been stepping out on her and she knows it.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great news. You didn’t get any truck warnings - key fob battery or similar?
I know what that is; you been stepping out on her and she knows it.

I had the key fob thing once... changed the battery in key fob, truck was starting ok.....

But it came back where the keyfob would not start the truck from a mere 30 feet. So today I just put in the battery that I bought 5 weeks ago from costco. Man does she start up fast and no more key fob cant reach the back of that glory hole shit.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have a specific link to this H8 battery? I'm a fan of NorthStar or the Xtreme2 (same thing, different brand) though I haven't looked. This is a lazy post. I'll search this afternoon for H8s.

Couldn't wait. I might pick this up today. Have had two different models of these X2Power branded batteries with awesome results.

Looking at the one picture above in this thread, looks like this one is down on CCA and capacity from even factory. Hmm. More research this afternoon.

Last edited: