Got sideswiped, any advice or a pick me up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCJEFE

Reaction score
Was sideswiped this morning at a relatively low speed by a Chevy 3500 work truck pulling a large trailer. Long story short I had the right of way, believe he did a rolling stop and hit my passenger side. He is clearly at fault, he had the stop sign and there was no stop sign for me. Got the police report, there is no question as to fault. He fessed up to everything, maybe a little excuse as to why he didn't see me/yield, but nothing egregious (yet). Good news is we're both ok. My airbags above the door deployed. Passenger side rear quarter is dented pretty good, little bit of damage to the back of the cab. Drove the truck home about 3 miles. Had to fight with the driver side seat belt to loosen before I could put it on, I assume due to the air bag that deployed above both doors. Noticed the red strip on the steering wheel was slightly off to the right driving home. Didn't notice anything else. These trucks are solid. When I got hit the truck called 911 for me, dispatch knew somehow I was in an accident. I was able to talk to them no prob, they knew our location and an officer showed up shortly afterwards.

Here's where I could use everyone's help. I'm sure a number of you have been in accidents and got your trucks fixed. Any feel good stories out there, someone really happy with the body work, got their truck back in pristine condition without a bunch of headaches? It's been about 20 years since I was in an accident, was rear ended in my 04 Tacoma in that one. The body shop that did the work did a great job. I drove that truck about 10 years and I mostly forgot it was ever hit. My Raptor has 23k miles on it. I'm the third owner, I picked it up from a collector about a year ago with 17k miles. It is my daily driver, of course I love the truck. I chose a gen 1 over the newer gen's, I always loved the look and there is no substitute for the 6.2. I paid 55k for it, I haven't begun to reconcile the damage to the value mentally yet but I'm assuming it is completely screwed up now. At minimum if I ever do sell it I'm going to have to deal with an accident on the title. I'm trying to convince myself it's ok because if the body shop gives it back in great condition I'll drive it until the wheels fall off. Glass half full now that it's been hit I may be able to quit babying it and have a little more fun with it. Accident happened about 2 hours ago, if anyone can cheer me up with positive stories of getting your trucks back on the road minus gremlins I'd sure appreciate it.

IMG_8681.jpg

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that....cant give advice on the fixing,but will say what an old friend told me when going thru S*#@...HANG IN THERE,BABY...!!
It will all work out,your OK!!and the bright side is you can still drive it....
And for what its worth...I worry everytime I take mine out,especially on freeway where people pull up alongside and stay there for 10 minutes sometimes one hand on wheel and one hand taking phone photos...!! Lots of crazies out there...

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Bet that guys like “oh crap i hit a raptor” lol

If its just whats in the pic id say a good body shop will have that done up nicely.
The bed has to come off for the cab corner anyway. Airbags and trim are easily replaceable. The alignment probably got knocked out if the wheels were turned.

That rear door open and close ok?

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Oof....fingers crossed it's not totaled. I did a quick check on Auto Trader and there was only 3/4 gen 1's under 30k miles.
Yea the value is going to be huge in the decision. used to be if the repair was over 70% of the vehicle value it was totaled. But that was a while ago.

OP
OP
MCJEFE

MCJEFE

Reaction score
Bet that guys like “oh crap i hit a raptor” lol

If its just whats in the pic id say a good body shop will have that done up nicely.
The bed has to come off for the cab corner anyway. Airbags and trim are easily replaceable. The alignment probably got knocked out if the wheels were turned.

That rear door open and close ok?
Exactly what I needed to read, very much appreciate your response! The rear passenger door opened and closed like the truck wasn't even hit. I'm trying to get jazzed up by telling myself maybe I'll get the body shop to fix a couple of other minor issues, I wasn't in love with the wheels so why not swap them out, and dare I say let's throw a supercharger in while we're at it. I was fine leaving it stock as I viewed it as a dang near perfect truck, but if we're opening pandoras box then let's kick that sum b*tch open... :cool:

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Exactly what I needed to read, very much appreciate your response! The rear passenger door opened and closed like the truck wasn't even hit. I'm trying to get jazzed up by telling myself maybe I'll get the body shop to fix a couple of other minor issues, I wasn't in love with the wheels so why not swap them out, and dare I say let's throw a supercharger in while we're at it. I was fine leaving it stock as I viewed it as a dang near perfect truck, but if we're opening pandoras box then let's kick that sum b*tch open... :cool:
It appears to me to be just cosmetic body damage, either repairable or body panels replaceable. That and paint and should be ok. I doubt it would be totaled. If it still drives great and they total it, after you get insurance check just buy it back as a salvage title on the cheap.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The first order of business is that you’re ok to type this post. Unfortunate that you had to, but fortunate that you’re able to.
Glad you’re ok.

I don’t see all that much damage there, but it’s for the other dude’s insurance to cover. As they say in S/A: “time to call the 4’s” :) ( if you know, you know )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter