Powermaster Starters any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guardrail

Reaction score
I have an exhaust manifold leak on my Gen 1 and I'm basically replacing the whole exhaust system minus the cats. So I was thinking, while I have everything out, I might as well replace the starter. Mine seems to be slowing down when cranking. Battery is good. I was looking at powermaster starters. I wanted to put in something that was overkill with cranking torque, hoping it would last longer than the stock one.
Has anybody used one of these starters? The reviews online look good, but I really don't trust most of those anymore.
Thanks

Marlboroman

Reaction score
My original starter has 220k. I’d say they are durable enough. Everything wears out, don’t pay more for that experience on a starter.

OP
OP
G

Guardrail

Reaction score
I decided to be the guinea pig. I bought one off ebay for $188. Part# 9632. It's a little longer than the stock. It's a tight fit to get in, but there isn't any fitment issues. It definitly spins the motor faster than the one I took out. To be completely transparent, I replaced the factory battery cables with new ones, since I had everything else apart. They didn't look bad, so I don't think that had much effect on how the starter performs. I'll post if I have any updates or problems. Another plus, they're made in USA. Also, I called customer support about the nose of that starter being different. I actaully got someone on the phone and they were really helpful and polite.

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpg
    IMG_5552.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guardrail

Reaction score
They said it's not a problem. You can't really see it in the picture. But it looks like a lot bigger bearing behind the gear.

OP
OP
G

Guardrail

Reaction score
According to their catalog, the starter is good for up to 14:1 compression ratio

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-03-22 15-18-40.png
    Screenshot from 2024-03-22 15-18-40.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 1