MAF Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having some issues with my MAF. Kind of a rough idle and it sounds a little different. 2014, 6.6L + SC on E85.

I've been driving the 6.6 for about 9 months without any issues.

First I had P1101 pop in Forscan. MAF sensor out of self test range. When I look at the MyCalibrator gauges for the MAF sensor data, it's reading values that change with air flow, etc.
I changed the MAF - No change. Still rough idle.

Today, I had the wrench icon on. Checked the codes with Forscan. Now I have a P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor 'A' Circuit.

Does anyone have any suggestions? On an F150 forum, one said to unhook the PCM cables where they plug into the firewall, then reseat. I can try that.

Found this in a post on FRF: P0100 -- Mass Airflow circuit malfunction. The Mass Airflow sensor is a hot wire that senses the volume of air entering the intake manifold. The computer uses this information to control fuel mixture. Rusty exhaust systems, cracked exhaust manifolds or damaged or missing gaskets or donuts will cause air leaks. To make a point as to the cause and effect on vehicles, consider this scenario. A simple air leak forward of the number one oxygen sensor will add additional air to the mixture un-metered by the computer. The oxygen sensor signals a lean mixture due to the un-metered air. Immediately the computer enriches the mixture to prevent a lean mixture from causing damage due to detonation among other factors. The unnecessarily rich mixture begins to foul the plugs, contaminate the oil, heats up the converter and drops the fuel economy. These are only a few of the things that transpire under these circumstances. Diagnostic and Repair Procedures It's wise to go online and acquire the technical service bulletins (TSBs) associated with these codes and a description. Although all vehicles suffer from similar causes, some may have a service history of problems with a particular component associated with this code.

TIA. Brian

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2L correct...and SuperCharger? Not sure about E85,but mine only runs on 92 with a Whipple SC.
Sorry,but dont have a clue except if running lower oct. gas,might of caused problem over the 9 months you drove it?
Not a good way to start 2024,but good luck with fix and Happy New Year.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.6L from Livernois, Supercharged, 2.875 whipple pulley + 12% OD ati crank pulley - Flex tuned for 93 or E85.

98% of the running over the last 9 months was with pump E85. We ran a tank of 93 through it when the 6.6L from Livernois was first installed. Maybe 1 other tank of 93 has been ran through the motor in the 9 months. I did fill up last week with 93 octane to see if that would make a difference and I could not tell a difference. But I was running E85 when the problem crept up and 93 or E85 doesn't' change anything now.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a circuit or pin issue between the MAF and PCM. Check both connectors for pushed in or spread pins, corrosion, water intrusion, terminal fretting, etc. If there are no visual issues then you’ll want to check the circuit integrity by measuring resistance, checking for shorts, etc.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne When you say both connectors, are you talking about the connector that clips on the maf and the other connector???? I assume the PCM harness where it plugs into the firewall? I can definitely try that, just wanted to confirm the firewall harness connector first.

@mobilefordtechjosh I'll get you that here shortly.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mobilefordtechjosh

Just checked again. I started it up for 10 seconds then shut it off. Then with engine off and key on I was now at a 0.3 Lbm/min

@FordTechOne - I pulled the plug off of the MAF. Pins looked good there. There is about a 5” long cable. Same looking plug that plugs into MAF. Pins looked clean and dry there. I pulled the plug from the firewall and the pins looked good there.

Ugh.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remembering back when my 6.6L was installed, there was talk about separating IAT and MAF onto separate circuits. Livernois was talking to the installer and I was out of the loop. Anyone know the details there? Might be a good place to check

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter